Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another wannabe query

Options
  • 11-09-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm a thirty something looking for a career change and a friend (who does not work in the industry) suggested CA.

I've been doing some initial research but of course have some queries :)

My background is in the semiconductor industry and I have no qualifications in business, accountancy etc. Will this be a problem? I believe you can apply to accountancy firms who hire on the basis of you training for a qualification. Is this correct and if so, what is the average salary? This is probably the most important aspect as I am earning a decent salary now and have a mortgage to pay.

All advice and comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SIBHCHEVIE

I would say that if you are looking for a decent salary starting off I would go with CIMA you would work in industry then and they tend to pay a lot better than practice. I am currently in practice and I have a year and a half left on my contract and pay is around 24,000 for me at the minute but I am waiting for my pay rise. When I started I was on 21,000 so i doubt that would suit you for a mortgage.

Plus I think it would be easier for you with your backround to work in Industry rather than practice. The hours can be crazy in some practices and you will be worked to the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

SIBHCHEVIE wrote: »
    Plus I think it would be easier for you with your backround to work in Industry rather than practice. The hours can be crazy in some practices and you will be worked to the bone.

Would that be possible with no qualification in accountancy though?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Yes its possible to get a job in a firm with no experience. Once you seem serious and enthusiastic about the career move.

As I suggested in another post... you could start a course yourself, pay yourself (can be expensive), then apply for a job and you will appear very commited to the career change. Once you pass exams they will (usually) reimburse you the course fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I would try Certified ACCA and look into nightcourses -their are a crowd in Swords doing it.

CIMA is cost and management for industry

You could also try Accounting Technicians courses as it could be done at night gain you exemptions if you want to test yourself on the exams.

Me I would do the foundation year at night and if you have what it takes you will know at the end of that year

Advertisement