Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cro how long?

Options
  • 11-09-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

anyone know how long the cro takes to issue a reg cert for a business name? im waitin to register a .ie name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

you might find Jmcc's responses on here interesting ...

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/hosting/6791-hosting-domain-advice-for-newbie-ireland.html#post35379

it was information I didn't already know ... apparently its taking 30+ days at the moment but if you register online you get a transaction ID which you can use to register your .ie ...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

thanks fobairt,
    i have the reciept number so it looks like i can go ahead,

No problem ... was something I didn't really know before today so glad to be of help :)

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

I was onto the CRO this morning about this very subject.

There is a backlog at the moment and RBN's are currently taking 5 weeks to process.

In the past I have managed to get a RBN through in just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

forbairt wrote: »
    apparently its taking 30+ days at the moment but if you register online you get a transaction ID which you can use to register your .ie ...
    sohappy wrote:
    thanks fobairt,
    i have the reciept number so it looks like i can go ahead,

Sorry to rain on your parade lads but the IEDR are NOT accepting submission/receipt numbers despite saying so on their website. This whole fu*king situation is such a shambles. I have a client waiting weeks to bring an ecommerce project to market and we are all sitting here waiting for the CRO to get their finger out.

Very frustrating :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

Philbert wrote: »
    I have a client waiting weeks to bring an ecommerce project to market and we are all sitting here waiting for the CRO to get their finger out.

If you are bringing an ecommerce site live for a client, would have sorted out the domain a lot sooner that a few weeks before launch, can't really blame that on the CRO for that! just my 2 cents..

If your client already has a company have you tried to register the domain as a discretionary name?

minttea wrote: »
    If you are bringing an ecommerce site live for a client, would have sorted out the domain a lot sooner that a few weeks before launch
    Of course :) Perhaps my emotions exaggerated the severity of the situation in my last post but the fact remains that new businesses now have to wait five weeks to get their .ie domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Of course :) Perhaps my emotions exaggerated the severity of the situation in my last post but the fact remains that new businesses now have to wait five weeks to get their .ie domain.
    Err no.
    That's misleading.

If someone is starting a business where they are trading as anything other than their naturally given name they are legally obliged to register a business name. They aren't meant to trade without it.

blacknight wrote: »
    Err no.
    That's misleading.

If someone is starting a business where they are trading as anything other than their naturally given name they are legally obliged to register a business name. They aren't meant to trade without it.

I fully understand that. Its a wholly online business so the business does not trade until the site is launched. Things were left late, wont happen again.
    Nobody ever expected the RBN to take 5 weeks. If the IEDR say they accept submission numbers on their website, then they should just accept them full stop, but they dont. At least thats what my host has told me.

So I actually have two gripes: CRO are slow, IEDR lie.

I fully understand that. Its a wholly online business so the business does not trade until the site is launched. Things were left late, wont happen again.
    Nobody ever expected the RBN to take 5 weeks. If the IEDR say they accept submission numbers on their website, then they should just accept them full stop, but they dont. At least thats what my host has told me.

Your host is telling you this not the IEDR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The IEDR will accept submission numbers - the problem we've run into is that people seem to think that what they're giving us is a submission number when all it is is the form number.

Unfortunately the IEDR unilaterally changed their policy on provisional acceptances a couple of months ago

Why?

Very simply because a lot of hosts / resellers weren't clear enough in their communications with clients that the registrations were provisional and that the CRO details had to be provided (8 weeks is more than enough time in fairness)
    End result being that a lot of people (seemingly) whined to the IEDR about their domains being deleted and so the IEDR opted for the nuclear option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Apply for the domain. Say the RBN is on the way.

This means no one else can snatch your domain as you wait for the RBN.

This will give you 30 days. I'm aware some RBN applications are taking longer than 30 days, but at least you're reducing the risk of losing your domain.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Apply for the domain. Say the RBN is on the way.

This means no one else can snatch your domain as you wait for the RBN.

This will give you 30 days. I'm aware some RBN applications are taking longer than 30 days, but at least you're reducing the risk of losing your domain.

The flip side of that is you demonstrate your interest in the domain and if someone else goes ahead and grabs it if it drops ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

forbairt wrote: »
    The flip side of that is you demonstrate your interest in the domain and if someone else goes ahead and grabs it if it drops ?

I'd rather take the risk :)

Advertisement