Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Objections - Government Need To Act

Options
  • 11-09-2008 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks that the right for anyone to object to planning for around €150 is wrong?

People in this country object to everything just because they are jealous or because they are looking for back handers.

If someone objects to planning it can cost the economy millions in delays etc. Also, even if they get planning there is no punishment for those who object.

There should a large fee for lodging objections. That way only serious objectors will object. This thing in Ireland of objecting to everything must stop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that the right for anyone to object to planning for around €150 is wrong?

People in this country object to everything just because they are jealous or because they are looking for back handers.

If someone objects to planning it can cost the economy millions in delays etc. Also, even if they get planning there is no punishment for those who object.

There should a large fee for lodging objections. That way only serious objectors will object. This thing in Ireland of objecting to everything must stop.
    i thought it was €20
    i just objected to something yesterday and it was €20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It is €20 it's meant to be affordable to all not just rich people, and it's not called an objection it's call and observations and submissions.

Its down to the council to decide if its in accordance with the town and county development plan. You can't just loge a complaint because you don't like the building or plans you have to give reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gareth, can you put any context on this?

Its is €20 when making a submission to the local council, there are higher fees when at An Bord Pleanála.

The prinicipal of "developer pays" applies. It is the developer / applicant that is changing things and it is for them to prove that their proposed development is legal.
    You are not alone, but you have a minority view. Many people feel any charge for observations is wrong. Note submissions supporting a development are also charged. Importantly, only submissions that are lawful and meaningful will have any effect. Saying "I object" won't get you very far.
    There should a large fee for lodging objections. That way only serious objectors will object.
    Wrong, that way only serious objectors with lots of money can object. How about I apply for PP for a chemical plant next to your house every couple of months and if you want to stop me, it will cost you a fortune.
    People in this country object to everything just because they are jealous
    You'll need to explain that one. The last time I heard someone say something like that it was an American saying people were jealous of American military power, when in fact people were afraid of American military power.
    or because they are looking for back handers.
    While yes, some people do look for concessions that cost the developer money, they are merely maintaining the status quo for the other party. Do you have any evidence of back handers? Oh, why are you calling them backhanders? Backhanders are given to people in authority.
    If someone objects to planning it can cost the economy millions in delays etc.
    Alternatively the developer / applicant hasan't thought things out properly.
    Also, even if they get planning there is no punishment for those who object.
    What system do you suggest? Should people who have PP turned down be punished? How about stocks? Maybe some flogging? What happens if the decision is conditioned?

Surely, in borderline cases, people are entitled to put a case before the relevant authorities for those authorities to make a decision in accordance with the law.

Advertisement