Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Then

Options
  • 11-09-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

The struggle of life all the suffering and the healing it's all part of the beauty that is life?

To reach enlightenment I assume would be the end of the suffering and the struggle/journey to find it

What happens after you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

ntlbell wrote: »
    What happens after you find it?
    First off, what do you think happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Asiaprod wrote: »
    First off, what do you think happens?

Honestly?

I haven't a notion.

Maybe boredom would send you to an early grave...

ntlbell wrote: »
    Honestly?

I haven't a notion.

And that is the correct answer, nobody knows. There are all kinds of speculation, but the best way I have been told to approach the question is by looking at what it is not.

Yes, found it here. Check this old thread out, we had a great discussion about enlightenment in it. Great explanation from MeditationMom

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

That was fun - re-reading our old thread :) Even more fun to find out our old conversations - and all the time we spent posting - can continue to be helpful.
    by ntlbell - What happens after you find it? (Nirvana/Enlightenment)

You either keep quiet or you become of service. Actually the two do not exclude each other. Even if you just keep quiet you are serving. But this serving is not the self-sacrificing service we usually think of because there is no self left to sacrifice. It is just sharing at that point - of bliss, joy, peace, wisdom. It is like sharing an inner wealth the way you would share your actual wealth.

It is true that we have to become bored with all of our regular pursuits in life first before this would be bliss instead of boredom. That is why so many masters recommend to live life to the fullest first, like a bright fire. Then, when disillusionment sets in we are ripe for the teachings and the alternative of meditation. Then we have to also burn that candle down to Nothing.

After that we share the light that needs no candle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What does it mean to live life by the fullest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Whoah ..Thats Deep...

Edit: sorry, im not contibuting to this much, am i..

by brianthebard -What does it mean to live life by the fullest?

When you breath - breath deeply, and say Thank You. When you dance - dance with abandon, and say Thank You. When you love - don't try to protect yourself from heartbreak, and say Thank You. When you are in the sun - close your eyes and feel it on your face....and say, Thank You! When you meditate - disappear completely...

I think you get the idea.

It is not what you do - as in "get married", "race cars" or "climb mountains" - the details are different for everyone, and often are quite simple and mundane - it is just that whatever you do, do it whole-heartedly and stay grateful. Then even the hardships become stepping stones across the river of illusion into nirvana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

When you breath - breath deeply, and say Thank You. When you dance - dance with abandon, and say Thank You. When you love - don't try to protect yourself from heartbreak, and say Thank You. When you are in the sun - close your eyes and feel it on your face....and say, Thank You! When you meditate - disappear completely...

I think you get the idea.

It is not what you do - as in "get married", "race cars" or "climb mountains" - the details are different for everyone, and often are quite simple and mundane - it is just that whatever you do, do it whole-heartedly and stay grateful. Then even the hardships become stepping stones across the river of illusion into nirvana.

Thats a lovely explanation there, realised that that is infact the direction I have been starting to head recently. It also allows me to feel less hurt by the suffering I see in others, when you look at it as the start of their journey to first feel the disillusionment.

Originally posted by - KamikazeKenny81 -That's a lovely explanation there, realised that that is infact the direction I have been starting to head recently. It also allows me to feel less hurt by the suffering I see in others, when you look at it as the start of their journey to first feel the disillusionment.

Thank You KK81. You make a very good point - that a compassionate person suffers just as much from seeing others suffer, if not more, as from their own suffering, and that through deeper understanding, especially understanding of Buddhist teachings - BOTH of those kinds of suffering get reduced, and eventually eliminated through liberation. I am happy to hear that this is starting to happen in your life - proof you are indeed heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement