Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how accurate is broadband.ie map

Options
  • 11-09-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Cant get broadband via phone line and currently trying our 3 mobile but not so good.

How accurate is the broadband map on the government site, as it says only 3 will work in my area of east cork? I would like to chance o2 but dont see the point if they dont cover.

Does EDGE broadband work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Broadband.ie isn't the government site, it's Smart Telecom.

Map on gov site is as acurate as the info the ISPs themselves provide. Usually close enough, but sometimes it's skewed by new services not reflected in the map yet, and some (mostly wireless) providers overstating their coverage.

o2 have a 'try it and see' offer still, don't they, or has the offer expired?

EDGE isn't broadband. It's usually good dialup speeds, but not always. EDGE coverage is more widespread than 3G coverage. I don't even consider 3G to be broadband because it's very hard to get anything near broadband speeds (because of contention).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

everton1 wrote: »

How accurate is the broadband map on the government site, as it says only 3 will work in my area of east cork?

The broadband map is very inaccurate, and does not reflect the current state of broadband availability, why?, because some ISP's misrepresented their coverage, to prevent funding from the infamous NBS being used to upgrade area's they could potentially cover in the future. Other ISP's could'nt be ar$ed telling the DCENR anything anymore, because they don't pay any heed anyway.

It is just an exercise by the DCENR, to "be seen to be doing something" when in actuallity they are doing nothing, why should they, they will never be reprimanded or sactioned, and will retire on a full Civil Service pension, which you, and others, will so generously provide for them.

jbkenn

Advertisement