Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Options
  • 10-09-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,
    My girlfriend is having trouble with her current landlord. He is not registered as a landlord and therefore no lease is signed. He asked one of them to move out 3 weeks ago because he needed somewhere to stay but both her and her housemate decided to move out because they are not too keen on living with him. He had been paying them rent relief himself but is now refusing to pay it for the last 10 months (he last paid in November 2007 for the previous year). She has found a place now also and is moving out a week earlier than she is paid up until. He won't give her this last week rent back though even though he forced one of them to move out. He initially told the other girl that he would give her the money back if she moved out early but is now claiming she misunderstood him.

I think my girlfriend should tell him that she is going to seek advice from Revenue and the PTRB unless he pays both the rent relief and give her the last weeks rent back. Is this the right avenue to go down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

There'a alot of messing there by the landlord, he probably doesn't know what the PRTB is but I'm sure revenue will worry him. But I know of tennants claiming back rent relief even though the landlord was not registered, the Agent for the landlord just signed the forms and they got there money back at the end of the year.

The landlord was not actually paying you rent relief but was giving you a rent reduction so in theory you could still claim rent relief!

This last weeks rent seems a bit petty by the landlord, is their a deposit involved as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dupku

my experience of tax credits in respect of Rent paid is that you need only fill out the appropriate revenue form supplying nothing more than the name and address of the landlord ..

Advertisement