Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNES Action Replay

Options
  • 10-09-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

This came up in another thread, but i didn't want to hijack it...

Anyhoo, I've been trying my Japanese games using my Action Replay (miraculously one of the 3 carts I still have from back in the day (the others being Jurassic Park and the Scope games)) as a converter, and it seems to be fairly hit and miss as to what actualy works.

SFII Turbo - perfect
    Super SFII - Intro etc play perfectly, but it doesn't respond to any button presses
    Street Fighter Zero 2 - nope
    Super Empire Strikes Back - perfect
    Super Mario Kart (alas alas) - everything is perfect right up until the race begins: then it's a mess
    Final Fight Guy (i was really worried about this after the other thread) - perfect

So i guess i'm just wondering does anyone know why this is, or what can be done about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's what's wrong -

Your snes console has a thing called a CIC chip. As do all carts. This checks the region.

What you do with all the region adapters is slot a second EU game in along with the US/JAP one. This fools the console into reading the CIC chip from the EU cart. - Allowing you to play the game.

Problem is, later copy protection was able to detect whether your console was 50/60hz. US/JAP being 60hz, EU 50hz. - This renders a lot of region adapters useless.

As far as I know, the only way of getting around that one is by doing a mod and inserting a frequency switch. Although there might be some region adapter out there with dip switches, similar to the ones I've seen on the Megadrive. They're fairly expensive though.

By the way, Final Fight guy worked with your Action Replay? Excellent! When I got it originally, it didn't work with my region adapter. I actually bought an Action Replay as part of a big Snes lot and never thought of trying it.

/edit - just read your post again and it seems it's not the region protection as the games are just glitchy. Your adapter must be broken. Or dirty. Try giving the contacts a clean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A 60/50Hz mod is really easy to do on a snes:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-switches-1.htm

Great site for other mods as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Thanks for the replies folks.

It did cross my mind that the cartidges themselves might be slightly dodgy. Damn it.

Not sure about the adapter being dirty since it works with the other games.

I'm off for a look at that link again (although i really wouldn't trust myself to go meddling about inside it).

Thanks again.

Advertisement