Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone up for a few tunes?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm a somewhat out of practice trad fiddle player based in Dublin but I don't know any other musicians here.. I'd love to see about arranging some sort of seisiún, if anyone else was interested in a a playing few tunes every few weeks!

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hi Sinead,

There are some decent sessions in The Seamus Ennis centre in Naul.
    www.seamusenniscentre.com

The Sunday afternoon session is good craic and there is also a slow session for those who are only getting used ot playing in sessions.

Rach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

Sinead

What part of Dublin are you in?

Ive been trying to get back playing a few sessions myself (banjo). Dont seem to be as many sessions around as I remember.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

scotchy - what part of Dublin?

we can start a new one if needs be:)

The cobblestone still has regular sessions in smithfield too as does the Man o' War pub out by Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

Hi ya moonbeam.

Im in Dún Laoghaire.

I used to go into the Cobblestone, must check it out again.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Ah your miles from us so.

Never actually been to the cobble stone,just heard good things about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanag

Sinéad

I'm a guitarist if you're interested.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sinead M

Hello everyone thanks for the replies :)

I'm on the Southside near the city centre so I don't think I'd manage Fingal but what evening are Cobblestone sessions? I could try to see if somewhere in the camden st ish area of the city centre would accept some music either (since it's easily found) if that might suit anyone?

Guitar and banjo sound great for a session btw, the more musicians the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanag

Sinead

Yeah it would be great if you could find a spot...I'm not far from the centre myself. Keep me posted and let me know if there's anything I can do - I'm based in Finglas.

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Hey lads i play guitar and banjo and a bit of mandolin! Im looking for somewhere regular to play myself. I know that there is a session in the pub in ringsend which for the life of me i cant think of the name right now!!

Other than that i would be up for anything, give me a shout. I live out in clonsilla direction but i work in the south inner city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

Hey cooper man, I see you live out by clonsilla,
    Do you know of any sessions out in dublin 15 at all?
    I play guitar , bit of 5-string banjo and mandolin/mandola myself.
    I'm a bit out of practise and i'm looking for somewhere local where I can ge back into it.
    Let me know if you know of anything out our way. Or if you know of any other musicians interested in starting a session in dublin15?
    I live in clonee at the back of blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Hey dwain. Im in clonee myself but there is nothing around! :) It might not be a bad idea mentioning it to a few bars, if they are interested im sure we could get a group together for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

id try these:

cobblestone... every evening, and all day sunday!

Hughes bar behind four courts.. thur fri sat sun mon.

Palace bar fleet street upstairs... weds, fri (i think)

The Ferryman down by john rogersons quay sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Looks like im not the only out of practice banjo player in town, did anything ever come of this thread? a session like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

If anyone is interested in a session in (or around) Celbridge let me know. I would set one up in one of the bars in the village if I could find a few musicians..

(I play guitar and banjo and mess about with a few other trad instruments. You can listen to a few tunes here. http://www.reverbnation.com/davemc Excuse the recording quality, they were recorded for my own amusement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Im in Coolock, will travel to anywhere. Id sing, im learning banjo and tin whistle.

Id love a good session. Are we talking all sorts from wolfe tonnes to Furys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

I think there are sesisons upstairs in Devitts on Camden street, not sure what days. Kielys in Donneybrook has a weekly session which is supposed to be good. There are also sessions pretty much every night of the week in Comhaltas in Monkstown. On Tuesdays they have a 'improvers' session, i.e. they do not play at full sesison speed. They also play the same list of tunes every week (they change the list every 10 weeks or so)..the idea being to help people learn the tunes. Note this is not suitable for absolute beginners.

Wednesday nights there is a session in the Blue Light pub up near Glencullen.

O'Donoghues on Merrion row has several sesisons every week...however I imagine its a really tough place to play in as the noise level from the punters talking would make it difficult for the musicians to hear each other.

Trinity College traditional music society have a regular session on Wednesdays (i think) in O'Neills on pearse street.

This info may not be 100% accurate so it would be worth contacting the venues the make sure beforehand.

Also check out www.thesession.org it has a list of sessions....although its not always up to date. If you find a good one could you post it here?

I play flute/whistle but I am only getting back into it after years of not playing so find it tough to break into most sessions as my repertoire would be still quite limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hi folks,

I recently picked up the bodhrán and I think im competent enought now to start playing sessions. I have never played a live session with a group, all I have done is played along with different reels off the radio etc. Would love to start playing with a live group, even to see how much work I need.

If anyone is up for it let me know.

Mark.

Advertisement