Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Visual Web Developer problem...

Options
  • 10-09-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a problem with my project when I try to upload it to my webserver, (Webhost.ie). I'm building a very basic project that just has a default.aspx page and in that page it has a calendar and a single drop down list. When I debug the page, no problem, I upload it and when I try to view the page on the internet, I'm getting the errors below. I've got onto Webhost just to see if they could maybe point me in the right direction and they showed me a thread on Google Groups where someone had this problem and it was down to a version of SP1 that they had either installed or omitted to install.

here is the thead to the discussion on google I was pointed to:

http://groups.google.com/group/DotNetDevelopment/browse_thread/thread/e332d392e7cb89be

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction with this??? I'm new to the ASP.NET framework and haven't used this approach before with regard to web development. Until now, I developed sites from code, I thought this ASP.NET was the way to go but it's starting to get in the way of progress to be honest... Any help much appreciated...

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\csc.exe" /noconfig /fullpaths @C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\8d0677f5\544c2967\_7om8igc.cmdline.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\csc.exe" /noconfig /fullpaths @C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\8d0677f5\544c2967\_7om8igc.cmdline.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ExternalException (0x36b1): Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\csc.exe" /noconfig /fullpaths @C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\8d0677f5\544c2967\_7om8igc.cmdline.]
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCaptureUnimpersonated(SafeUserTokenHandle userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles, String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine) +2165
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.Executor.ExecWaitWithCapture(SafeUserTokenHandle userToken, String cmd, String currentDir, TempFileCollection tempFiles, String& outputName, String& errorName, String trueCmdLine) +111
    Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.Compile(CompilerParameters options, String compilerDirectory, String compilerExe, String arguments, String& outputFile, Int32& nativeReturnValue, String trueArgs) +451
    Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.FromFileBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +593
    Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.System.CodeDom.Compiler.ICodeCompiler.CompileAssemblyFromFileBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +185
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeDomProvider.CompileAssemblyFromFile(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames) +23
    System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile() +843
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() +164
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) +267
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +582
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +93
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +111
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +54
    System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +31
    System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +40
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +139
    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +128
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +161

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Off the top of my head - you are using .net 3.5 but webhost.ie only seem to offer up to v2. Could that be an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

eoin_s wrote: »
    Off the top of my head - you are using .net 3.5 but webhost.ie only seem to offer up to v2. Could that be an issue?

Hi Eoin,

Yeah, that could be the problem all right. But I can't upgrade my .net version on webhost and I'm stuck with the 3.5 version on my PC. Also, when I run the default.aspx file on my localhost .net server on my local PC, the file loads without issue. Any suggestions???

I would expect it to load locally on your PC because it's setup to run 3.5, while your hosting account is only setup to run 1.1 or 2.0.

I'm not familiar with v3.5, but I know it's not the complete re-write that 2.0 was from 1.1, so you may be able to publish the site as a 2.0 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

eoin_s wrote: »
    I would expect it to load locally on your PC because it's setup to run 3.5, while your hosting account is only setup to run 1.1 or 2.0.

I'm not familiar with v3.5, but I know it's not the complete re-write that 2.0 was from 1.1, so you may be able to publish the site as a 2.0 version.

Hi Eoin, many thanks for your help with this. I downloaded MS Visual Web developer 2005 which is running on the .net 2 version and the file will run on the remote server no probs.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

No problems at all, glad you are sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just some info. on this. If you are using Visual Studio 2008 or one of the express versions you can set it to compile to version 2.0 in the project/website properties. Theres no need to go back to 2005. Unless you are using Linq to Sql, Extensions or Entities it's unlikely you'll need it to run on version 3.5. I likes my Linq though so I got my host to upgrade me :)

Advertisement