Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you decide to move abroad?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

So,

What were the factors that made you move abroad? Was it work, location, other half, adventure, language skills...?

I was abroad before primarily to learn a new language, and now I'm considering it again, but for different reasons this time. The weather is one factor (not the main one though). I suppose the job I get and the money will be a factor of where I may end up Though I'm currently of the opinion that a job is a job is a job in many ways, and once I find a location I am happy with, then I'll be happy. Is the grass always greener, but just as hard to mow?

I think of 6 countries right now that all have their advantages, but it's like a game of chess. Choose wisely...

I may not have a choice, and I may not get a job anywhere (the way the economy is going) but I'd be confident of being able to get one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A mixture of things. Firstly, we are moving to what is home for my husband, and he never really settled in Ireland, the culture shock was quite big for him. Secondly, the house prices- we a have bought a wonderful 4 bedroom home with large garden and within walking distance of ammenities for 1/3 of the price of our one bedroom flat here. Third, unemployment where we are going is 2% and falling (home of Wallmart and Nestle HQ in the USA). And last, but certainly not least, we feel Ireland, especially Dublin, isn't a good place to bring up kids anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tired of living in Ireland, didn't want to move away from a little country town to get a better job and house prices were at a high when I was leaving. My wife was born and raised in a college town in Illinois, so we moved there. 3 years on, things are going very well. She is in a management position and I am working in a city job in the library. We have a house and are set up for retirement (both mid 20's). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Was working here for a few years for an Irish company, met my girlfriend here, project finished so I stayed and got a permanent job. Don't miss Ireland much, weeks since I saw a drop of rain and every time I phone home all I hear is complaints about rain, although it dropped below 20 for the first time yesterday :( Everything just works here, great health, great roads, public transport 24/7 that runs frequently and on time, 16mb internet/flat telephone package for €25pm, cheap rent, food, beer, you can get beer at any time of day/night and you don't see people falling around the streets in a mess. Would be very hard to leave this behind and return to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I'm trying to decide on where, and my main one at the moment, is , a cold but dry winter in Nth America, or relatively good weather all the time in Oz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

jester77 wrote: »
    Was working here for a few years for an Irish company, met my girlfriend here, project finished so I stayed and got a permanent job. Don't miss Ireland much, weeks since I saw a drop of rain and every time I phone home all I hear is complaints about rain, although it dropped below 20 for the first time yesterday :( Everything just works here, great health, great roads, public transport 24/7 that runs frequently and on time, 16mb internet/flat telephone package for €25pm, cheap rent, food, beer, you can get beer at any time of day/night and you don't see people falling around the streets in a mess. Would be very hard to leave this behind and return to Ireland.

How did you cope with learning a new language, or were you already able to speak German??

I would love to move to Mainland Europe but i haven't got great language skills and i think i would really struggle to be able to work (as an Engineer) with such a limited grasp of the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ibh wrote: »
    How did you cope with learning a new language, or were you already able to speak German??

I would love to move to Mainland Europe but i haven't got great language skills and i think i would really struggle to be able to work (as an Engineer) with such a limited grasp of the language.

I studied German for the Leaving cert, but I didn't put in much of an effort. Never thought I would end up here!! Just had the basics, but as I was working for an Irish company most of my work was in English so fluent German wasn't necessary. I then moved to a US company that was based here and nearly everything was in German but everyone was fluent in English and very helpful, almost too helpful. Still not fluent in the language but I have enough to get by and talk with people. You pick it up as you go along without even realising it, people I don't meet too often have commented on how it's improved when I see them again. There are plenty of language schools around as well, I tried this when I first came over but it was not for me. I have a German girlfriend and this was a better way to learn, although I have become lazy and we speak mostly English :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My OH is a kiwi and was living in Dublin when we met. We knew for a while that he wanted to go home for a bit and do a masters. I was happy enough to go with him and have a few years of living abroad. We went away a lot when living in Dublin so we're going to take full advantage of being over this part of the world to see a lot of Asia etc.

It's not permanent though. We fully intend to go back to Dublin in 2 or 3 years time and then we'll settle down. My OH was brought up in South Africa and moved to NZ when he was 16 so he has far less emotional ties to either place then I have to Dublin. He's happy enough to live in Europe and has confessed a number of times to missing Dublin a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To put it simply, Ireland was boring the arse off me. Same shit, different day. I had to get out, even if it was only for a year or two.

I'd finished college so the next inevitable stage was a job, a mortgage and 2.4 kids. At 21 that was not something I wanted so I decided to try my luck in Australia. Being a citizen I didn't have any visa hassles and I came away with the missus and my mates so all was good. So good in fact that when they left to continue their travels myself and herself stayed. Away 18 months now and will probably stay for another 18 at least.

Miss home a bit but it seems like feck all has happened or changed since I left so I'm not exactly missing out. Meanwhile, it's 24 degrees today and I'm wearing a jumper as we head towards summer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I moved to the UK due to the lack of uni places in the early 90's. Came home briefly after graduating, but found for personal/family reasons, it was difficult to stay in Dublin. Came back to Scotland where i have had lots of opportunity.
    However I dislike the lifestyle and climate here and so will be moving to Oz in January. I want to be roller skating in my 60's in a nice hot place!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

In the same place as Jester, above.

Moved here just over one year ago for my first job out of college. Had previously done a work placement for the same company so in a way starting a job in Hamburg was more familiar territory then moving so some end of Ireland.

I felt that it was an opportunity that I would regret if I left it pass- that was my main reason for coming, and although moving, alone to a foreign country and language isn't always easy, I still think it was the best thing to do.

Having read the Irish headlines this past summer, can't say I'm too sad not to be a part of the dull, grey, rainy, recession PANIC! fuelled country anymore!

What I don't know is how long I will stay... I would imagine the longer you live away, the harder it is to go back home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    What I don't know is how long I will stay... I would imagine the longer you live away, the harder it is to go back home.
    So true , i came to uk 20 years ago due to last recession in the 80s . Although thoughts of home are never far away i think i'm here for the long haul :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    In the same place as Jester, above.

Moved here just over one year ago for my first job out of college. Had previously done a work placement for the same company so in a way starting a job in Hamburg was more familiar territory then moving so some end of Ireland.

I felt that it was an opportunity that I would regret if I left it pass- that was my main reason for coming, and although moving, alone to a foreign country and language isn't always easy, I still think it was the best thing to do.

Having read the Irish headlines this past summer, can't say I'm too sad not to be a part of the dull, grey, rainy, recession PANIC! fuelled country anymore!

i see its raining now in hamburg..selective memory me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

i see its raining now in hamburg..selective memory me thinks

Sorry, was in Boston this past week :)
    They say Hamburg is a rainy city over here, but we still saw quite a bit of sun this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

The company I worked for in Ireland was winding down and I was job-hunting and trying to decide between Cork and Limerick when I saw an ad for a job in Amsterdam. I applied, had the right skills, got an offer and moved over a month later. It was intended to be a one year stay, but it's coming up on 11 now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Originally from Wicklow, and having spent 6 years in Dublin at third level, like others, I desperately need a change of scenery.

London was a no-brainer. Lots of jobs, great transport (comparatively speaking), a nice mix of nationalities, _lots_ to do, lots of irish people here too to mix with, and only 5 hours door-to-door from the family home should I start missing the oldies.

Also, while the weather is not vastly different from home - it definitely seems a lot less less wet (and thus I rarely get those nasty head colds now :) ) and a few degrees warmer.

Currently, halfway through a '5 year plan'. Let's see how that pans out.

Advertisement