Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer One Netbook Blue €270 at PowerCity

Options
  • 10-09-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

ACER ONE NETBOOK BLUE

Model: LU.S030A.096
    PRICE:€ 269.95
    • ACER A110L ASPIRE ONE NETBOOK BLUE.
    • REAL PORTABILITY.
    • INTEL ATOM CPU.
    • 512MB RAM & 8GB FLASH DRIVE.
    • 8.9" TFT SCREEN.
    • CARD READER.
    • WIRELESS FOR BROADBAND.
    • WEBCAM BUILT IN.
    • LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

They are almost getting to sensible prices! i.e. the price at which I would consider buying one, need to drop to about €220 for that though!:D

Sure makes the Dell Inspiron Mini ) look very expensive at €399!

Maybe Dunnes Stores will do the Acer with 50% points back before Christmas!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's just got 8GB storage and is running linux. Are programs like Firefox and Open Office gonna run on this then?

Does it support most programs that Linux versions do?

Does it have USB ports?

How heavy is it?

Why does it say "will not work with mobile broadband" ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think this is the same price in PC World.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

269.99 in Currys...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It will not work with mobile broadband because 02, three etc only have windows drivers perhaps?
    Yes firefox will work, your other questions can be answered by a google search.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Saruman wrote: »
    It will not work with mobile broadband because 02, three etc only have windows drivers perhaps?

The vodafone modem works on the eeepc so there is linux drivers for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Saruman wrote: »
    Yes firefox will work, your other questions can be answered by a google search.
    That's what I'm wondering from anyone "in the know" or who has bought one.

Maybe it has no USB ports? Maybe they don't provide enough power? etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Random wrote: »
    It's just got 8GB storage and is running linux. Are programs like Firefox and Open Office gonna run on this then?

Does it support most programs that Linux versions do?

Does it have USB ports?

How heavy is it?

Why does it say "will not work with mobile broadband" ?

It comes pre loaded with open office and firefox 2.0. So there's no worries on that front. It has 3 usb ports, and i believe it's around the 1Kg mark. Just over 1kg i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I read that you can not do too much to linux, most options locked although there is a workaround if you want to make changes it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

The vodafone modem works on the eeepc so there is linux drivers for it.

Are you sure it works on the linux version of the Eee PC as opposed to one of the Windows XP versions?

• Advertisement

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

will win XP work on it, or does it need special drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

win xp wont load from flash without allot of work and youd ned to understand pcs a hell of a lot to do it, remember reading how to do it in the past and just giving up on the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭savemejebus

XP runs fine on all of the EEPC's and can be bought as standard on some of the aspire one models so it probably wouldn't be that big a deal to get it going.

If you have an external usb cd/dvd drive it should be a snap. otherwise it may be trickier but it is possible. Here is a guide http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4900

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Thanks for that.
    I don't really need a laptop, only a 'tablet' (touch screen) that's light and I can browse the net from.

I saw the Archos 605 WiFi which may fit my purpose, but I already have an Archos 560 (can't remember that exact model, they had it in Currys, 60 GB), and can't justify the spend.

Would anyone have any other suggestions? Basically I want a light touch screen to surf the net on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

nokia internet tablet? have the 770 which is a tad dated but it works non the less. Theres the n800 and n810 which are more modern.

rocky wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I don't really need a laptop, only a 'tablet' (touch screen) that's light and I can browse the net from.

I saw the Archos 605 WiFi which may fit my purpose, but I already have an Archos 560 (can't remember that exact model, they had it in Currys, 60 GB), and can't justify the spend.

Would anyone have any other suggestions? Basically I want a light touch screen to surf the net on.

Luzern Tech in Dublin have tons and tons of the refurb Archos 605s on ebay at the moment various differnet sizes up to 80Gb not sure what prices the 80Gb models are making but 4GB were €70-€80 and 20Gb about €100 when I was looking at them 2 weeks ago. As you probably know you will need to buy the internet browser plugin from the Archos website for about €30.

I was considering buying one for internet browsing as they seem to get very good reviews but a mate gave me an old laptop he was about to throw in the attic which worked out cheaper! :D

The only other cheaper option would be to purchase a 2nd wifi PDA on ebay but I would reckon the refurb 605 is the way to go myself.

Link

LuzernTech Ebay shop

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

these mini "netbooks" seem very pricy for what they are and considering what they are missing, many have only one usb port and none of them have dvd drive and most have the same storage capability as an 8gb ipod.

also the price does not reflect that most of them ship without any operating system or with linux or ubuntu which are free but these operating systems are not compatible with many of the accessories you may want to use with your netbook like digital camera software etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Compushed

foggy_lad wrote: »
    these mini "netbooks" seem very pricy for what they are and considering what they are missing, many have only one usb port and none of them have dvd drive and most have the same storage capability as an 8gb ipod.

also the price does not reflect that most of them ship without any operating system or with linux or ubuntu which are free but these operating systems are not compatible with many of the accessories you may want to use with your netbook like digital camera software etc

I don't think you quite grasp what netbooks are for.

The are for surfing the net, checking email, watching youtube and minor editing of office type files.

If they had HDD's and DVD drives they they would be
    a. Too heavy
    b. Too fragile (the 8/12/16/20 GB you have on netbooks is a shockproof flash memory, not a fragile spining hard disk)
    c. Too hard on battery

However, seen as how they all run Linux which is a little different but has all the photo editing (GIMP), office (OPEN OFFICE), maths, vector, browser, email clients you could want.

I saw an ad somewhere at the weekend which went alaong the lines:

"Laptops are for doing, netbooks are for viewing."

That about sums it up, netbooks should be cheap and cheerful. The problem is that laptops have come down in price so much lately that the lines are blurred.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Most of them come with card readers anyway so the camera thing wont be an issue.

Not all netbooks run versions of Linux, there is usually an option to have xp installed, generally you'll pay a bit extra for it of course, the msi wind and advent 4211 come with xp home pre installed as standard. I've found the standard amount of usb ports to be 3, and the lack of a dvd drive is more out of necessity due to the size of the machines rather than cost cutting, the EEE 901/acer aspire one, couldn't fit a dvd drive without doubling the thickness(maybe not double, but close to it:pac:).
    And also, a lot of netbooks do have standard 2.5" Hard drives, for those wanting large amounts of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Has anybody gotten stiff from this site?
    Look to good to be true....
    Do-more wrote: »
    Luzern Tech in Dublin have tons and tons of the refurb Archos 605s on ebay at the moment various differnet sizes up to 80Gb not sure what prices the 80Gb models are making but 4GB were €70-€80 and 20Gb about €100 when I was looking at them 2 weeks ago. As you probably know you will need to buy the internet browser plugin from the Archos website for about €30.

I was considering buying one for internet browsing as they seem to get very good reviews but a mate gave me an old laptop he was about to throw in the attic which worked out cheaper! :D

The only other cheaper option would be to purchase a 2nd wifi PDA on ebay but I would reckon the refurb 605 is the way to go myself.

Link

LuzernTech Ebay shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm gonna get one of these when I get paid. I spend a lot of evenings in the library doing degree course work so this Acer would be really handy to sling in my bag everyday, it's really light.

Also I don't know what they mean about 'will not work with mobile broadband', AFAIK the 8GB Aspire One (if not all of them) have a HSDPA modem that you can put a sim card in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What's the battery life like on the Acer One. I'm thinking it might do as a portable reader for PDF books with a 8.9 inch screen vertically.

BOFH_139 wrote: »

Yes, i bought my archos 605 of fthem about 2 months ago, and actually just bought a dvr station off them on saturday, still waiting for that one, but i have no complaints about the archos 605 i bought, quick delivery too. Keep in mind that most of their stuff is refurbished.

BOFH_139 wrote: »

If you search boards for Luzern Tech you will find posts from people who bought off them. From memory their depot is in the Ballycoolin Ind. Est. and I think you can arrange to pick up in person if it's handy foryou and save the delivery charge.

Ebay feedback is 99% on nearly 60,000 sales, not shabby!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

It didn't me get that excited !!

...Sorry - couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Do-more wrote: »
    I saw an ad somewhere at the weekend which went alaong the lines:

"Laptops are for doing, netbooks are for viewing."
    I think this was a PC World/Currys/Dixons tag line on one of their flyers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement