Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary heating to Oil fired system

• 10-09-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Folks,

I currently have a standard oil fired central heating system, heating a house 3300 sq Ft with 17 radiators.
    I would to look at options for a secondary heating option that could work in conjunction with the existing oil primarily to reduce costs.
    My preferred option would be solid/multi fule stove with a back boiler, but I have been told this is a messy option linking closed and open systems.
    Is there anyone who can reccomend any solutions or who have tried to implement this.
    I am based in East Cork does anyone know of any experienced plumbers who are savy enough on this ?

Thanks,
    Bish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Do u burn oil during the summer months heating hot water? Many ppl do, and if u use more than 500 doing so, id look at solar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bish-bosh

I have considered solar, but in a few years I will have a regular supply of wood which I thought would be even cheaper than the solar option.
    As well as this my house is facing east which leaves me unable to install panels on south facing roof space.

Option 1. Wait for wood

option 2. Wall mount the solar or ground mount. Or, west face the solar at 40 degrees, however with this option you lose 15% efficency annualy

Thanks Snyper,
    Just found a guy re the backboiler, he came over the weekend.
    To do this is fairly simple and not too costly no more than €1500 for plumbing + cost of stove
    But my boiler is in my garage which is nowhere near the cylinder and to run the pipes would need floors taking up etc etc, so its a non runner.

So I will be looking into the solar option after all...
    Is there any particular makes or designs you would reccomend or be wary of ?

thanks

Bish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Unfortunate you can't get the back boiler in. Have same problem but have gone ahead anyway with the non boiler stove. Even if you never use it, it will reduce the % of heat from your current system escaping up the chimney. Assuming you have an open fire, the stove is 40%+ more fuel efficient than regular fire. Given that you have a supply of wood its a no brainer. Payback period is short with a stove install.
    As for solar, I remain unconvinced as regards payback period. Make sure it all ads up before going forward with it.

• Advertisement

I already have two small stoves in the house, but i will upgrade the one in the front room to a larger model.
    The output on the smaller stoves is ok, but with a larger one you can manager the heat better, fill it up less etc etc.
    Ill let you know how i get on sourcing the solar stuff...

bish-bosh wrote: »
    Thanks Snyper,
    Just found a guy re the backboiler, he came over the weekend.
    To do this is fairly simple and not too costly no more than €1500 for plumbing + cost of stove
    But my boiler is in my garage which is nowhere near the cylinder and to run the pipes would need floors taking up etc etc, so its a non runner.

So I will be looking into the solar option after all...
    Is there any particular makes or designs you would reccomend or be wary of ?

thanks

Bish

If you want solar for hot water you can get 36 tubes and a 300l stainless steel cylinder (dual coil) supplied and fitted for between 4700 - 5000 depending on the job.

If its for space heating - its more tricky, you need the system designed properly to make it worthwhile, so you will need a buffer tank and high efficency tubes

For option (A) there is a guy in mallow that fits all cork and kerry and rest of munster - and is even comming up to athlone to do a job ive given him so hes willing to travel...

Advertisement