Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocktails in Dublin - somewhere special

Options
  • 10-09-2008 12:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all,

Dont know if this is the right place for this, so feel free to move if not...

At the weekend I am going bridal dress shopping and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere to go for one or two cocktails with my sisters and mum afterwards. I want to treat them to somewhere special, so not considering places like Captain America's or anything!!

Anyone any suggestions for somewhere girly and special??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

The Westin, the Westbury or the Merrion hotel are all good venues for cocktails, not cheap cocktails mind you.

There is also the likes of Cafe en Seine and Sam Sara.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

La Stampa, beside Cafe en Seine maybe worth a look. I'll move this to Beer Wines & Spirits, some of the posters there may have a few suggestions too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I would highly recommend The Venu Brasserie just of Annes Lane (beside keoghs). It's a three time award winning cocktail bar, beautiful drinks made with fresh fruit and sugar cane. They have a large menu as well. If that doesn't suit your tasting try 'Floridita' beside the Irish Life shopping mall (Talbot Street), that’s nice Cuban cocktail bar with Cuban music ect... They also have a large cocktail menu, made with elderflower and tropical fruits and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

The Westin - either in the Mint Bar or the Atrium

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Morgan is good, as is Capitol Bar - they have cocktails for €5 at the weekend until midnight I think. :p

They don't make Mojitos though. :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah Capitol is good to go . Great range to choose from also .

Capitol have awful cocktails, cheap non premium spirits and they use bottle and carton juices. Not a real cocktail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Second Venu, they do nice cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Morgan is good, as is Capitol Bar - they have cocktails for €5 at the weekend until midnight I think. :p

They don't make Mojitos though. :mad:

A mojito is not a cocktail though.

But seconds (or thirds) for the Westin mint bar. Nice stuff. Atmosphere is not amazing though...

Mojito is a cocktail, how is it not? A cocktail, originally a mixture of distilled spirits, sugar, water, and bitters. That's basically a 'Mojito'. A capecod is considered a cocktail and that's just vodka, cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Elem wrote: »
    Mojito is a cocktail, how is it not? A cocktail, originally a mixture of distilled spirits, sugar, water, and bitters. That's basically a 'Mojito'. A capecod is considered a cocktail and that's just vodka, cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime.

A mojito contains only one alcohol so to me is just a long drink like a gin and tonic for example. But anyway, doesn't much matter.

So OP where did you end up going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Elem wrote: »
    Capitol have awful cocktails, cheap non premium spirits and they use bottle and carton juices. Not a real cocktail!

Yeah I went to Capitol last week for the first time in ages and the cocktails had gone soo down hill. It was quite a shock TBH. I remember getting pretty nice cocktails there.

Profit margins went down because it's so dead around town at night. So I'm sure they've made a few cut backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Diep Le Shaker just off Baggot Street do really nice cocktails. Not sure if you can just have cocktails at the bar though, you may need to be eat some of the overpriced Thai food as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

agree about the westin,karl byrne is best shaker in ireland .saba is also excellent

b.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

The bar upstairs in Harvey Nicks in the Dundrum Town Centre do excellent cocktails. They also do good mojitos. The surroundings are very London modern-chic. Nice for an occasion or a celebration.

Unfortunately they really, really know how to charge for them which is prob no bad thing. You go crazy if you have more than three or four !

In other news .... the best Mojitos I have ever had were in Van Dykes Bar in South Beach Miami a few years back. Monty's Raw Bar, in the same parish, came a close second.

Those were the days !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Third vote for Venu. Made me wonder why I've been wasting my time drinking Bloody Marys made from tomato juice all these years.

And the quality of the cocktails more than makes up for the atrocious spelling in the menu. I'm guessing the manager spent English class dreaming up recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Spy do great cocktails... half price before 9pm too :D
    (Stephen's green is my favourite)

I'll vote for Mint & Saba too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

i would recommend 'Floridita' on abbey street. Cuban music, salsa dancing, and the nicest short cocktails around. Great for martinis and manhattans and the classics. No rubbish watered down cheapo fruit juice nonsense.

Advertisement