Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink !!!!!

Options
  • 10-09-2008 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Ive been holding onto this one for a while, but with the game tonight I thought i would let you guys in on it. (it may still be a store error, but none of the staff said a word when purchasing)

tesco have a brand of 'English Bitter' called John Smith. If you dont know what bitter is like, its kind of a cross between lager and stout, like a smooth beer. Its very nice when chilled. Its in a green can.

Anyway, it retails at an unbelievable €1.30 for 4 cans of 440ml. Thats about 33c a can. I thought it was a mistake when I first got it, but the pricing on the shelf specifies 4x440cl for 1.30 and 74c per litre. I have been buying it for a few weeks.

I saw this in Celbridge tesco, I am not sure if it is nationwide.

Also, they sell bass at €1.00 per can.

On your marks, get set .......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Nice one mate ..I love John Smiths :D
    It's normally about 5 euro for 4 cans so that's a great deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

/note to self. Go to tesco on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

is it like smithwicks??

bryanmurr wrote: »
    is it like smithwicks??
    Nope.

But it gets fairly decent reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's more like Kilkenny ..creamy and smooth mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Cheers OP

But just checked Tesco Mullingar and no trace of John Smith's on display! I'm sure I've seen it there previously.

Might save someone a trip....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

That a good price alright , must try and track it down, cheers

You can get 3 x 15pack of 440ml cans for 20quid sterling up in sainsburys in newry on it at the minute( you can mix and match your packs of beer)

Wont bother buying it up north now if i can track it down locally at that price you mentioned

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

No John Smyth's in Tesco Paul Street I don't think.

Oh yeah, I guess there's no point starting a new thread so I'll put it under this one entitled "drink!"

You can buy a three litre (1.5 flagons) of Tesco cider for a mere €5.50.

That's 6 cans worth. By comparison 6 Dutch Mould would cost you €7.

It's a strong %5.3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Cheers OP, just picked up 4 cans in Nenagh but i've never seen such to-ing and fro-ing over 4 cans of beer. First the till person tried to charge me 5.20, then she called the supervisor, who called the manager.....

i got the beer at the right price but i don't know if anyone else will as the manager said it was a pricing error and was dead set on rectifying it as i left.

• Advertisement

Cheers OP, just picked up 4 cans in Nenagh but i've never seen such to-ing and fro-ing over 4 cans of beer. First the till person tried to charge me 5.20, then she called the supervisor, who called the manager.....

i got the beer at the right price but i don't know if anyone else will as the manager said it was a pricing error and was dead set on rectifying it as i left.

Ah Jaysus, you just ruined it for the whole country, he'll be onto head office to update the master list, run lads run! :D

And remember if they still have the price on the shelf at €1.30 and they try to charge you more you get it for free! ;)

Cheers again OP a mate picked up the last 12 cans on the shelf when he was in Dublin at lunchtime (Clarehall I think) when he asked for more they said they had no more stock as it was a discontinued line... Ya never know what to believe though when it comes to Tesco.

invest4deepvalue.com

ONE FOR THE WINOS.

if ye are all willing to take a spin head for sainsburys in Newry. they stock a range of wines called FISH EYE. i have tried the red,white and roset and they are all FANTASTIC at only st3.60 a bottle!!! borrow a van and stock up. last weekend they were also selling 24xcarlsberg slabs for only st10 each, SWEET!!! one of the many great things about living in Dundalk is that a 10 minute drive up to newry will get you a weeks shopping for literally half of what it costs in rip-off republic. these days i spend virtually nothing in this country, the retailers and government have only themselves to blame.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

jayteecork wrote: »
    No John Smyth's in Tesco Paul Street I don't think.

Oh yeah, I guess there's no point starting a new thread so I'll put it under this one entitled "drink!"

You can buy a three litre (1.5 flagons) of Tesco cider for a mere €5.50.

That's 6 cans worth. By comparison 6 Dutch Mould would cost you €7.

It's a strong %5.3 too.

Yeah but its absolutely AWFUL.It actually hurts my stomach AS I'M DRINKING IT....which is never a good sign.Old Taurus is a much better cheap cider, €1.25 for a 500ml can in Aldi, good cider at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

ONE FOR THE WINOS.

if ye are all willing to take a spin head for sainsburys in Newry. they stock a range of wines called FISH EYE. i have tried the red,white and roset and they are all FANTASTIC at only st3.60 a bottle!!! borrow a van and stock up. last weekend they were also selling 24xcarlsberg slabs for only st10 each, SWEET!!! one of the many great things about living in Dundalk is that a 10 minute drive up to newry will get you a weeks shopping for literally half of what it costs in rip-off republic. these days i spend virtually nothing in this country, the retailers and government have only themselves to blame.:D

For you wine lovers with access to Sainsburys Newry, also try an absolutely superb South African cab sauv red called Porcupine Ridge
    http://www.wine.com/v6/Porcupine-Ridge/learnabout.aspx?winery=6009&ct=1925

From recollection it was about GBP5.49 & an absolute steal at that price, given the taste

Next time I'm coming back fully loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

The same thing happened to me this week in Tescos in Tullow. Not for John Smyths but for the 4 pack kopperburg. When the cashier scanned it in it came up as €2.20, she looked at me then deleted it and re-scanned it and again it was €2.20. She just shrugged her shoulders and carried on.

I'll check again this evening to see if it is still the same (I'll use the automatic scanner they have there just in case)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

a 6 pack of Dutch Mould scanned through as 1.35 for me in Super Valu Merchant's quay.

The lady who scanned it didn't bat an eyelid.

drunk_monk wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me this week in Tescos in Tullow. Not for John Smyths but for the 4 pack kopperburg. When the cashier scanned it in it came up as €2.20, she looked at me then deleted it and re-scanned it and again it was €2.20. She just shrugged her shoulders and carried on.

I'll check again this evening to see if it is still the same (I'll use the automatic scanner they have there just in case)

I'm off to Tescos now!

My mate was around to drop off the John Smiths to me this morning, he'd only been joking when he said they only had 3 packs left, in fact he got me 8!

Tried one arouind 11 o'clock (I know, I know) instead of a coffee and it was very drinkable alright!

invest4deepvalue.com

Nah. Kopperbergs only available in 2 packs in Mullingar and priced at €2.29 per can!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

On my Bargains alert rounds saturday morning and after picking up 2 KVM switches at PC world for €10 (saving€70) i then swung by Tescos and bought case of John Smith bitter but check out thought €1.30 for 4 was too cheap so charged €1.30 each.Paid and proceeded to get full refund at customer desk.Lovely Free Bitter,thanks for post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Which Tesco? Sold out anywhere I tried:(

Did you clear the shelf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

CELLBRIGE SOLD OUT...

mAYNOOTH CHARGING 130 PER CAN..

****e ..... Was looking forward to getting drunk on the cheap tonight !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Clarehall,none left,says discontinued line on sticker.Trx check in Maynooth does it say 4x440cl on €1.30 price tag,if it does and you pay €1.30 per can you should get a full refund.This happened to me at Clarehall.

Checked Merrion last friday as well. No sign of any John Smith at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

One of my best friend's name is John Smith. For his birthday, em and him had some. Nice when chilled. But it flattens quickly, and tastes rotten when it's warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

No.. It is definately 1.30 per Can...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭savemejebus

stickers are fixed and everything in limerick (crescent) :( plenty of beer but all at normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Should have lifted the SELs when they had the old price on them to replace when they went back up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

sorry if this has been already posted, but 24x330 bottles of MILLER for 19.99 in Dunnes stores Monaghan...

Is it only Tesco that sell John Smiths?Our local Tesco won't have it for a few weeks and the nearest Tesco that stock it is in Ballina!

• Advertisement
Advertisement