Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147????

Options
  • 09-09-2008 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Thinking of Buying an Alfa Romeo 147, Can anyone tell me if they are any good or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This thread might be of use to you. Alfa 147

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Awful cars. Avoid Alphas at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

I had one, a 02 2.0 147 Selespeed Twin Spark Lusso .... absolutely loved it. Only problem was it seemed to love to break down more .... I owned it for only 3 months, 2 of which it spent eiher on Alfa Romeo diagnostics or back with the delaer I bought it from.

I would however still recommend them, just steer clear of older Selespeed models, manual models seem ok, just be warned that they take a lot of TLC and are not in any way forgiving of lack of maintenance, it will cost you to keep it running but when they are running they are a delight to drive. If you can opt for a 2.0 version and just listen to the engine growl :-)

Generally, when buying a used one, you will get it quite cheap anyway so the money you save there can be used to ensure it is kept in goodrunning order!! Just make sure if the car you get is used and has anywhere from 30-40,000 miles that the timining belt has been changed by a reputable dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Awful cars. Avoid Alphas at all costs.

Go back to Bostin! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The best reason not to buy a 147 is the 156, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 nollaigc

I own a 03 147. I still remember going to buy it with the now wife. I had never seen anyone so excited by a car. She absolutely loved it and so did I.
    Now I know all the tales of alfa's going wrong and there are no shortage of them but I still have ours and love to drive it.
    The 147 is still in my humble opinion one of the best looking cars in its class.
    I would agree with staying away from the Selespeed model.
    Timing belt is absolutely essential......much much cheaper than repaining a blown engine.
    Engines renowned for drinking abit of oil. But that is an easily monitored thing.
    Go and drive as many as you can. there is no shortage of them out there.
    Make your choice on the one you like best and haggle like bejasus.
    For further info consult the Alfa forums/discussion boards. You will find a big family online.
    Happy Alfa(:):)ing)

Advertisement