Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where was your Family during the Famine?

Options
  • 09-09-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I watched 94% of this last night and thought it was very interesting. Especially as I am currently working on the old tree myself. Can't wait to see the Cromwell thing tonight. Finally, RTE are making some watchable programmes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

WindSock wrote: »
    I watched 94% of this last night and thought it was very interesting. Especially as I am currently working on the old tree myself. Can't wait to see the Cromwell thing tonight. Finally, RTE are making some watchable programmes.

I watched about 80% I reckon, I feel asleep and kept waking up at the ads! :)

I personally thought it was a bit drawn out, but still a good programme none the less.

Looking forward to the Cromwell one tonite too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

What time please?

i have tried looking up mine and havent had much luck.

How are u doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You've tried looking up your what? :confused: Cromwell is on at 10.15 on RTE 1

Yeah, I fell asleep during the last bit too. Did they all die in the end?

Was this famine thing just a one off, does anyone know? (the programme, not the actual famine :pac:)

You've tried looking up your what? :confused: Cromwell is on at 10.15 on RTE 1

Yeah, I fell asleep during the last bit too. Did they all die in the end?

Was this famine thing just a one off, does anyone know? (the programme, not the actual famine :pac:)

Family tree :o sorry didnt make myself clear.Any tips where to start i tried few things sites from Ireland but havent had any luck. Thanks

Thanks for the time aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well I got some suggestions from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055365187

I have started using Genes Reunited and the 1911 census came up with some things too. I am gathering more info later on today so I can go to parishes and the national archives to check out records.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement

Well I got some suggestions from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055365187

I have started using Genes Reunited and the 1911 census came up with some things too. I am gathering more info later on today so I can go to parishes and the national archives to check out records.

Good luck :)

Thanks thats great :) really appreciate it, Good luck with urs aswell.

Let us know how ur progress is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I thought the famine doc was interesting, it was good the way they had the 3 different people with ancestors from varied backgrounds - I thought John Waters came across a bit over-emotional, going on about how the famine was a 'crime', etc. - fair enough but I guess it's time to move on.

The Cromwell doc last night was a bit boring to be quite honest, too many talking heads, not enough action (OK so it was done on the cheap) - I suppose seeing as how Cromwell himself was a dour individual, any documentary about him would tend to be dragged down as well. The English guys acting as the New Model Army were excellent (members of the Sealed Knot apparently (http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/army.asp?AN=Parliament) who live and breath Civil War re-enactments).

At least RTE does have a decent record in doing programmes like these, unlike their (very suspect) light entertainment and drama output.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 reggie71

Just started resesarching my own family tree recently and found the www.irish-roots.ie website very useful. I managed to get about 70% of my family back as far as the 1830's. They were from Sligo, Roscommon and Cavan.

Overall, the site is easy to use and fairly reasonably priced too, in synch with what alot of the other uk based sites have been charging:)

Advertisement