Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Audi A3 - 3 door

Options
  • 09-09-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

Im considering splashing out on my first car and have always liked Audi's. So with that i am maybe going to buy a new or nearly new A3.
    I really like the look of this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/1.6/1135822/

So anyway, what would be your thoughts on this car and what would you suggest as a competitor to an A3?

Thanks,

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Try and get one in "Ambition" spec if at all possible. The one in your link is the base-level spec "Attraction" which happens to have the S-Line body kit bolted on. The Ambition has a much better interior, better wheels, lower suspension, etc, etc. Nice spec. Also try get one with Climate control (auto aircon) - a lot of them have it, that one in your link doesn't, it doesn't even have manual aircon!

The basic old 1.6 is a complete dog too to be honest. The much rarer 1.6 FSI is the one to get, if you can find one... alternatively one of the diesels. But that old 1.6 is pretty awful - noisy, slow, unrefined.

Alternatively, get a 3-door Golf GT (one of the super/turbo-charged TSI's) and save yourself thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Thats alot of splashing for your first car. Would you not be more worried about scratching it or crashing it that in a second hand car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yeah, that one has the Sunroof & Alloys pack rather than the Aircon & Alloys pack.
    I'm not sure which is more desirable, that's a horses for courses kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

just dont get a crap spec. Loads of people here go for so called luxury brand cars and get the cheapest one available. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd hold off OP, the A3 is getting a major facelift very soon. Prices of the current model will drop then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd hold off OP, the A3 is getting a major facelift very soon. Prices of the current model will drop then.

I'm looking at an A3 for the wife and was wondering if there was a new one due out. All the reports I've read on the net have late 2009 for the release. Now they could be talking bull but late 2009 is a year away, long time to be waiting to buy a car.

btw here are a couple of pics I found when searching, looks nice imho....

There's a facelift imminent, but it's only a new front and rear bumper. I don't think you'll see a new model for a few years (Oct 2010 is what I read on the intertubes).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There's a facelift due any day, in fact I think its already available. It looks like the recently launched cabriolet version. Its a lot more subtle than those pics lafors, its pretty much a mild freshen up!

Here it is: http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080424.004/2009-audi-a3-facelift-revealed

Having owned both an A3 and now a Golf, I'd have to admit the A3 isn't worth the extra premium, unless you get a spec to justify the badge - I'm talking leather, climate control, a decent engine, etc... the base-spec "attraction" 1.6 is shockingly poor value for money IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A/C (or possibly climate control) standard on all facelifted models, with the option of DRL's?

Facelifted model is available to build on the Audi UK website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

bazz26 wrote: »
    AudiChris wrote: »
    There's a facelift imminent, but it's only a new front and rear bumper. I don't think you'll see a new model for a few years (Oct 2010 is what I read on the intertubes).

The facelift is already here. I bought one and am picking it up on Friday* :)

The lights are changed at the back, the mirrors now have indicators on the side and there are a few other changes to the interior (at least the UK facelift version has these changes).

I'll be posting pics of mine over the weekend for a 'real' look at the car Mine is a UK Sport Quattro trim though, so the interior might be different to what you'll get in Ireland. We have Standard, SE, Sport and S-Line trims over here on the A3, then you get the S3.

*Assuming my insurance cert gets to the Audi dealer by Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

R.O.R wrote: »
    A/C (or possibly climate control) standard on all facelifted models, with the option of DRL's?

Facelifted model is available to build on the Audi UK website.

DRL's are only available on the S-line trim (highest spec in the UK before the S3) in the UK and even then it's only an option. They cannot be bought on the lower trims even as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lafors would be correct. New model A3 in late 2009 but thats the Continental launch. VAG cars usually aren't available in the UK or Ireland for about 6 -9 months after the continental Launch. For instance th New TT was launched in the Spring of '06 in Europe but the order books in the UK and Ireland didn't open till late September '06 and other than a few gob****es ordering for a December '06 delivery, 99% of Irish new TT's ordered after launch were '07. Ordered mine in October '06 and got it in march '07.

So if you wait for the new model you are looking at taking delivery no sooner than the late summer of 2010.

Advertisement