Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elara Online - Asus EEE 1000 Black Linux 40GB SSD - €441!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

there has just been a price drop on this product to $449 in the states why do we have to pay the same amount in euros?
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/eee-pc-1000h-price-plummets-to-449/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

1000H is actually different from the 1000.

And to answer your question, the reason why the EEE is cheaper in the states is the same reason why houses, cars and petrol is cheaper in the states as well. Different taxation and manufacturers have different pricing for different regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

Here's a pretty good review with differences that Kin mentioned 1000 not 1000H...

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1000-linux.aspx

Catalyst wrote: »
    Here's a pretty good review with differences that Kin mentioned 1000 not 1000H...

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1000-linux.aspx

fair enough thats a good review but i still reckon ye should be selling the 1000h cheaper over here its like apple all over again with their pricing lets charge the paddies the same price that the americans are paying but instead we will charge them in euros and the paddies will loose again on the exchange rate. it can be bought on ebay for $449+54 shipping which is around €355 http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-EEEPC1000H-BK009X-Eee-PC-1000-Atom-80GB-XP-1000H_W0QQitemZ200253001756QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200253001756&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A15|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

JAMM222 wrote: »
    fair enough thats a good review but i still reckon ye should be selling the 1000h cheaper over here its like apple all over again with their pricing lets charge the paddies the same price that the americans are paying but instead we will charge them in euros and the paddies will loose again on the exchange rate. it can be bought on ebay for $449+54 shipping which is around €355 http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-EEEPC1000H-BK009X-Eee-PC-1000-Atom-80GB-XP-1000H_W0QQitemZ200253001756QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200253001756&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A15|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

We have a higher VAT rate over here of 21% and a higher duty rate as well. The manufacturers then sell it at a higher price to us. This all adds up to the higher price you see.

If you import the laptop from the US you will be charged duty and VAT. Some might be lucky and get away with it but most won't. We definately won't as we sell hundereds of EEE PCs.

We cannot possibly sell it at that price as we will be loosing money. We are not making more money than our US counterparts.

Oh... and the eBay EEE PC is a 1000H, it is not the same as the 1000.

• Advertisement

Oh... and the eBay EEE PC is a 1000H, it is not the same as the 1000.[/QUOTE]

will the 1000h be any cheaper than the 1000?

The 1000H should be around €20 cheaper than the 1000 but we are doing a special on the 1000 which makes them the same price now.

Kin Mak wrote: »
    The 1000H should be around €20 cheaper than the 1000 but we are doing a special on the 1000 which makes them the same price now.

a special offer at €100 more than it is in the states hardly a Bargain Alert!:mad:

a special offer at €100 more than it is in the states hardly a Bargain Alert!:mad:

I don't think you are understanding about VAT and duty... they are higher here. Not even taking into account the duty you are paying 21% more here just from VAT.

We definately won't as we sell hundereds of EEE PCs.

[/QUOTE]

if you sold them at a more attractive price you would sell hundreds more! even €379 would be a half decent price but at 441 thats too high!

• Advertisement

We definately won't as we sell hundereds of EEE PCs.

if you sold them at a more attractive price you would sell hundreds more! even €379 would be a half decent price but at 441 thats too high![/QUOTE]

I think you should buy one from the U.S. because we are not going to be selling it for what you want them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

That ebay seller would be shipping that item insured through UPS.
    UPS collect taxes and duty on imports on behalf of the Government, you will be charged VAT @ 21% on the full value (item + shipping fee) + a €15 fee for this service all payable on delivery. This makes your €100 price difference suddenly disappear. For elara warranty returns are local and the sale should be covered by both EU distance selling regulations and Irish Sale of Goods Act.
    For the ebay seller all rma's are return to seller. Good luck with your purchase.

If I wanted to argue a price I'd be looking to the EU and in particular, the UK given the current €/£ exchange rate, for comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

if you sold them at a more attractive price you would sell hundreds more! even €379 would be a half decent price but at 441 thats too high!

Posts reported.

JAMM - Almost EVERYTHING is cheaper in the states than it is here. That's the way it's always been. Arguing with the elara rep isn't going to change that fact.

If you are a regular poster on boards you'll know that elara have a good rep here and that isn't through ripping people off. It's simply more expensive for them to sell here than it is to buy in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Posts reported.

JAMM - Almost EVERYTHING is cheaper in the states than it is here. That's the way it's always been. Arguing with the elara rep isn't going to change that fact.

If you are a regular poster on boards you'll know that elara have a good rep here and that isn't true ripping people off. It's simply more expensive for them to sell here than it is to buy in the states.

Yup!! Elara are a great company to deal with. Their prices are spot on tbh. If you got to buy it in the states you would have to pay duty and VAT upon importing it.

mgadget wrote: »
    That ebay seller would be shipping that item insured through UPS.
    UPS collect taxes and duty on imports on behalf of the Government, you will be charged VAT @ 21% on the full value (item + shipping fee) + a €15 fee for this service all payable on delivery. This makes your €100 price difference suddenly disappear. For elara warranty returns are local and the sale should be covered by both EU distance selling regulations and Irish Sale of Goods Act.
    For the ebay seller all rma's are return to seller. Good luck with your purchase.

If I wanted to argue a price I'd be looking to the EU and in particular, the UK given the current €/£ exchange rate, for comparisons.

fair point and i have to agree and maybe i am being a bit harsh on the elara rep its just fustrating sometimes when you see something that is dropping in price and we cant make any saving on it!

Posts reported.

If you are a regular poster on boards you'll know that elara have a good rep here and that isn't through ripping people off. It's simply more expensive for them to sell here than it is to buy in the states.

i never said anything bad about Elara's reputation and i am aware of their good rep here i was just making a point and i think i am entitled to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Kin

Can you confirm that the solid state disk in this model is actually the 8GB/32GB model, where the first 8GB is fast but the reamining 32GB is substantially slower in terms of read/write times?
    If this is the case, can anyone provide specs/figures on this disk to help make comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thats quiet a good deal for it to be shipped from ebuyer in the uk to your door its €448

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Yup!! Elara are a great company to deal with. Their prices are spot on tbh. If you got to buy it in the states you would have to pay duty and VAT upon importing it.

It's Customs & Excise who the complaints of being a rip-off should be aimed at, not Elara! :D

• Advertisement

There's a problem with that link.

Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black - EEEPC1000H-BK007X

Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black
    Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black
    Previous Image Stop Slideshow Play Slideshow Next Image

was : €480.45
    you save : €56.16

now
    €424.29

ex.vat : €361.10
    stock : > 20

Rating:Product Rated 4.1 56 Votes
    Rate this product

* Product
    Summary
    * Tech
    Spec
    * Essential
    Extras
    * Package
    Deals
    * Product
    Feedback

Sick of carrying your cumbersome laptop around with you?

Don’t you wish it was easier?

With the Asus Eee PC it is. At only 1.45Kg this is an ultra-portable laptop ideal for those on the move.

With an amazing 7 hours battery life it will last a full working day. So, you’ll never need a notepad again!

Plus, given its WiFi and bluetooth capabilities you’ll have internet access at your fingertips too!

Just because it’s small doesn’t mean it isn’t powerful. With an Intel Atom processor it’s more than capable when it comes to your everyday needs.

The 80GB Hard Drive means that there’s plenty of room for your everyday files, and more besides. This model clearly has a spec that would rival many of its much larger competitors.

So, if it’s a mobile laptop you’re, or even just a second laptop for internet browsing the Asus Eee PC 1000 is an ideal choice.

* Processor - Intel Atom 1.6 GHz
    * RAM - 1 GB (installed) (max) - DDR2 SDRAM
    - Please call 0870 167 0818 for double memory offer
    * Hard Drive - 80 GB
    * Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    * Screen - 10 in TFT active matrix 1024 x 600
    * Optical Drive - None
    * Bluetooth - Yes
    * Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    * Warranty - 2 years warranty

* NEW Microsoft Office 2007 Available now - Click Here

there seems to be something wrong with the link at the moment

Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black - EEEPC1000H-BK007X

Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black
    Asus Eee PC 1000 Windows XP - Black
    Previous Image Stop Slideshow Play Slideshow Next Image

was : €480.45
    you save : €56.16

now
    €424.29<snip>

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Anyone thinking of buying from Laptopsdirect.ie should check this thread out first.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055365923

I for instance am now over 3 months waiting for a refund from them for a laptop that was faulty out of the box. You can draw your own conclusions from that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

That's the 1000h model.The SSD model is more expensive. *YAWN* Give Elara a break.

I just bought one on seeing this thread from Elara btw. :)

carbsy wrote: »
    That's the 1000h model.The SSD model is more expensive. *YAWN* Give Elara a break.

I just bought one on seeing this thread from Elara btw. :)

i probably will buy one from elara myself, although i think the item is overpriced i believe that they are a good company and they have a lot of loyal customers from boards.ie which speaks volumes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I just moved to the US for the year... happy days in regards to electronic equipment (you should see the price differences in regards to expensive camera equipment, it actually makes it worthwhile to fly to New York, spend a weekend there, get a 2000 dollar lens and come back (because it will cost 3500 euro here) *figures exaggerated slightly*)

On the plus side - we get dirt cheap international flights (they've never heard of 20 euro flights in the US).

To keep the thread on track - I'm probably going to wait a bit more for the 1000h as the new 160gb version is coming out soon and the 80gb version may drop in price a bit more (450 dollars currently in the US, pre-tax) (I can afford to wait :) )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I just moved to the US for the year... happy days in regards to electronic equipment (you should see the price differences in regards to expensive camera equipment, it actually makes it worthwhile to fly to New York, spend a weekend there, get a 2000 dollar lens and come back (because it will cost 3500 euro here) *figures exaggerated slightly*)

On the plus side - we get dirt cheap international flights (they've never heard of 20 euro flights in the US).

To keep the thread on track - I'm probably going to wait a bit more for the 1000h as the new 160gb version is coming out soon and the 80gb version may drop in price a bit more (450 dollars currently in the US, pre-tax) (I can afford to wait :) )
    Considering you can get a 2.5" 320GB sata drive for €80 delivered (probably cheaper in the us) I wouldn't bother waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well there's always the old question of "Do I need a new computer with a nice long battery life?"

In the US where there's power ports in every classroom the answer is no really.

But back in rural Dublin ;) we don't have that luxury so I might just buy one before I leave (by which time there'll probably be some uber cool computer which will be totally obsolete by the time it comes to my door).

• Advertisement

Just picked one up. 452 inc delivery. Hopefully have it on Friday!!

Very exciting, I had been looking at an acer aspire one with 6cell battery, but just couldn't seem to source it anywhere.

This isn't the best price for a netbook, but definitely one of the best value offers!

Advertisement