Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Visual Web Developer 2008, adding a DB Table...

Options
  • 09-09-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Up until now, I've had my website hosted on a Unix platform and used PHP MyAdmin to create a database on my website, if I needed to add a table or a column, I could do this through the PHP MyAdmin, all seemed fine and I had no problems with setting up a database, adding or deleting columns or data/records from my database, I could run queries forwhatever I needed, basically EVERYTHING WORKED FINE!!!

Now, in my wisdom, I've changed my hosting service provider and now my website is running on a Windows/ASP platform. I don't expect to be able to copy my database across from the old server to the new one and I don't need to. I've logged into my control panel with my new hosting company and can set up a database and a user. When I go into MS Visual Web developer, I can connect to this database on my remote server, but very contrary to what I've been used to, when I try to add a table to my new DB, I'm told "This feature is not supported by MS Visual Web developer Express".

I'm sure I can run a command that will do this, but I'm used to being able to see columns and data in my table on a screen and using a GUI to change what I see on that screen if I want to, seeing is believing and all that! I find it hard to believe that a program like MS Visual Web developer, (where you can build a site without knowing any HTML or CSS!), will not allow you add a table to a database! Before I go back to my old way of doing things with PHP MyAdmin, is there something I'm missing here with MS Visual Web Developer??? I would have thought modifying a database structure would be simple and straightforward on an application such as this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Has anyone used MS Visual Web developer?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Are you using SQL Server Database for your new application? If so...

I may be wrong but I think that MS Visual Web developer Express does not have the database admin features you require. Its a trimmed down version of Visual Studio..

You can download a full version of Visual Studio and use it for a three month trial from the microsoft website, or you could use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express, which is a free admin tool for SQL Server database. You can get that from here

If you are using a MySQL database, then you could use phpMyAdmin as usual

yeraulone wrote: »
    Are you using SQL Server Database for your new application? If so...

I may be wrong but I think that MS Visual Web developer Express does not have the database admin features you require. Its a trimmed down version of Visual Studio..

You can download a full version of Visual Studio and use it for a three month trial from the microsoft website, or you could use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express, which is a free admin tool for SQL Server database. You can get that from here

If you are using a MySQL database, then you could use phpMyAdmin as usual

Thanks a mil yeraulone, I figured out that I had to download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express to manage the database. I thought Microsoft would have thought given this type of basic functionality with an application that claims to be a powerful dynamic web development tool! I'm pretty fluent in PHP and HTML & CSS, but I thought I'd start getting to grisp with C# and the MSDN framework because this seems to be the future, but to be honest I'm starting to regret going near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I thought I'd start getting to grisp with C# and the MSDN framework because this seems to be the future, but to be honest I'm starting to regret going near it.

That's no reason to give up on what is a very good framework. Stick with it.

Check this out - I know it's an external application to your IDE, but may be helpful.
    http://www.toadsoft.com/toadsqlserver/toad_sqlserver.htm

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's no reason to give up on what is a very good framework. Stick with it.

Check this out - I know it's an external application to your IDE, but may be helpful.
    http://www.toadsoft.com/toadsqlserver/toad_sqlserver.htm

Hi Eoin,

just wondering do you think that this is the way to go for the future??? I mean the .net framework and c#???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi Daragh, that's a much bigger question! I can't see there being just one framework that's the best one - whatever one delivers what the application needs is the best one for me.

I think it's a great framework though, coming from an ASP background.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil yeraulone, I figured out that I had to download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express to manage the database. I thought Microsoft would have thought given this type of basic functionality with an application that claims to be a powerful dynamic web development tool! I'm pretty fluent in PHP and HTML & CSS, but I thought I'd start getting to grisp with C# and the MSDN framework because this seems to be the future, but to be honest I'm starting to regret going near it.

No problem. You should have a look at www.asp.net. Under the downloads section, you'll find starter kits. These starter kits are full e-commerce applications, classified sites, cms applications etc. You can download these with the full source code, so you can take them apart, see how they work. Theres also a really good "getting started" forum to search or post to.

Advertisement