Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Bootleg* PS3/PC Saturn-style pads

Options
  • 09-09-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

Found via Shoryuken forums (via shmups forum):
    eBay Seller litianedup is selling what appear to be bootleg Saturn pads... that work perfectly on both PS3 & PC.

Already ordered 2. Senior SRK members have already gotten theirs, are reporting them to be "as good as the real deal".
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Are Saturn pads really that good? I only play the streetfighter games and I've only ever known them on the consoles, played it on the mega drive snes, but really started loving it when I got Alpha 3 on the ps1.

I recently got into SF3 on emulators (2df etc) thus I bought a PS3 pad to use on my pc since I was too freckin lazy to get a converter for my old ps1 pads (kinda regret it now, as I think they are better since the ps3 pads have tiggers instead of buttons for R2 and L2)

But when the topic of best pads for street fighter comes up saturn is always talked about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Quite simply the saturn japanese and later western pads (the initial western release pads are absolute dirt) are far and away he greatest d-pad based joypads ever created and absolutely perfect for Capcom games. The d-pad is wonderfully responsive with the full face instead of the ****ty four buttons on the PS pad, there's no way you will press a diagonal instead of moving in the intended direction. 6 face buttons is also a must, Capcom fighting games are practically unplayable with 4 face buttons to any skillful degree.

Even capcom agree that they are the best game pads for their games. When the anniversary editions of Street Fighter games came out on the xbox and PS2 capcom released their own commemorative SF2 gamepads that just so happened to be exact replicas of the saturn joypad.

Can't believe you are using the PS pad for SF games, it is absolutely horrendous for these games. Only 4 face buttons and the d-pad is an abomination. You do eventually get used to it but it's still unreliable 70% of the time when doing special moves which makes it impossible and unreliable for laying down a barrage of fireballs and zangief is useless since his spinning piledriver is impossible to do. The PS1 conversion of SFA 3 is also not the best especially compared to the saturn comversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

ha ha well I know you have a passionate hate for the PS controller and its D-pad anyways, I've talked to you about it before hehe.

Your the 1st person I've talked to who doesn't think the ps d-pad is great for street fighter. But sure there are people out there that swear by the 360 d-pad so everyones different I guess.

Interesting about the anniversary editions game pads. I don't suppose they'd be around these days though.

I still may just get a stick, I dunno. Its not that I'm un happy about the pad (cept for the shoulder buttons ) its just all the talk about the saturn pad makes me wanna try it out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most people these days grew up with PS controller ,have gotten used to it and know no better. It really is a rotten design and most people who have played a lot of 8-bit and 16-bit games would rarely disagree.

It was a totally backwards design as well just copying the SNES controller adding on a terrible d-pad because nintendo and sega owned the patents to the good ones and only putting on 4 face buttons when 6 was becoming standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,639 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The ps D pad absolutely blows for any type of 2d fighting game. You just can't get any diagonals in. It actually hurts my fingers. Anyone who disagrees is masochist.

As good as the Saturn pads are, I still prefer a stick myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, the PS pad isn't completely atrocious for Tekken...
    But that's about it.
    Everything else needs a better pad for consistent play.

Hell, I was better at Garou with the 360's *stick* then with a PS pad!

Tekken is built around the limitations of the PS controller. The game cleverly recognises a half pushed diagonal if it is registered only fleetingly and there are only 1 or 2 moves that require circular motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,639 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tekken is built around the limitations of the PS controller. The game cleverly recognises a half pushed diagonal if it is registered only fleetingly and there are only 1 or 2 moves that require circular motions.

Interesting....

Still a crap game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

will these pads work on 360? i need two good pads for street fighter 4 and i hate arcade sticks.

i got to agree with the lads, the playstation pads just dont cut for street fighter. that said, i think the 360's d-pad is even worse despite looking the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

corcaigh07 wrote:
    will these pads work on 360? i need two good pads for street fighter 4 and i hate arcade sticks.
    No.
    Blame MS for not using standard protocols (again).

Wait for the Madcatz licensed SFIV pads. (yes yes, Madcatz were sh*te in years past yadda yadda)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

The street fighter IV pads better not be like those ultra crap, aniversarry edition pads, but more like the Capcom vs snk DC pads.

appleidog wrote: »
    The street fighter IV pads better not be like those ultra crap, aniversarry edition pads, but more like the Capcom vs snk DC pads.

hold on a minute, the SF2 anniversary edition pads? They were fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    hold on a minute, the SF2 anniversary edition pads? They were fantastic!

The sf anniversary pads were the greatest pad ever(and still are) for any 2d fighter,I have a japanese saturn and the anniversary pads are beter than that and that's a pretty decent pad.For me personally nothing comes close to a decent arcade stick but I understand some don't like them but the range from mad catz for sfiv surprisingly look good(not sure about the slightly odd looking dpad though).

Advertisement