Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Leinster

Options
  • 09-09-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me the best way go about walking this i.e. how do ya get there and wheres the access point (may Shay could do me a gooogle map Please :o)

Also what kind of walk is it? Difficulty? Terrain? Distance?

Thanks for any advice!!!!!!

or maps!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Are you plannig on walking the road up or taking another approach?

I generally get to the nine stones (i think thats what its called) from Myshall. Theres a parking area and usually an Ice Cream man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Would be great if there was another approach as in a trail? Dont particularly want to walk the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

the easiest way to go is into bunclody and take a right but the quickest way is through myshall.
    Where are you coming from??

I don't know about trails, I've only ever walked up the road. I've cycled around the forest tracks lower down but never cycled that far up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

You can walk from Bunclody over blackrock and then across Mountleinster. this crosses about 5 peaks ending up at Sillogue gap (4.5 hour walk). the terrain from bunclody to the peak is not too bad. From Mount Leinster on to Knockroe can be a bit hairy in places especially if you decend over the back of the hill. I would suggest getting an ordinance survey map for hill walking or contacting a walking group e.g. Blackstairs Ramblers http://www.blackstairsramblers.com/. They walk every Thursday evening and Sunday morning and generally concentrate on the Mount Leinster area. You can go on the first few walks before deciding if you wish to join. i have walked a few times with them recently - am busy at the moment but planning to join club in a couple of months time. i am quite new to hill walking but a club is definetely the best way to learn routes. Also, as the terrain can be a bit dodgy in places its best not to venture too far alone. There is also a Tullow walking club, think they meet in Carlow town and do regular walks of the hills. Once you join one club you are free to walk with both. membership also entitles you to insurance.

Also, checkout the autumn walking festival http://www.walking.ireland.ie/result/IndividualResultTCS.aspx?touristItemID=13943 This would be a good oppertunity to learn a few routes.

I did a nice two hour walk recently starting a car park (can't remember the name) but if you drive from the ninestones towards Myshall you eventually come to a T junction - rough car park on the left if you go left at the T junction. You can trek from here up to the windmills. You will need a map.

hope this is of some help.

ShayK1 the easiest way to go is into bunclody and take a right but the quickest way is through myshall.
    Where are you coming from??

I don't know about trails, I've only ever walked up the road. I've cycled around the forest tracks lower down but never cycled that far up.

Mortified to say Fenagh:o ya'd never guess i was a blow-in

Thanks for all the help lads.

@ paulfitzg: Do ya think you be able to run that 5 peak walk you just mentioned obviously as you said there maybe parts you have to walk but in general?

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    Mortified to say Fenagh:o ya'd never guess i was a blow-in

OMG!!

Hehhe, just so you're not disappointed heres the map.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=52.686997,-6.779251&daddr=Mount+Leinster+%4052.617435,-6.779142&hl=en&geocode=%3BFdvgIgMd-o6Y_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=12&sll=52.678464,-6.771355&sspn=0.114275,0.265045&ie=UTF8&ll=52.664515,-6.768265&spn=0.057156,0.132523&z=13
    :)

I know Fenagh exists, I could drive there if I needed to, but do you think google maps can find it? NO! So i just gave you a map from Myshall. You know where Myshall is don't you?

The Point a "B" is roughly where the car park is at the 9 stones. I think.

I think you could run parts of the route - you would want to be fit. I will try to dig out a few photos tonight if I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Paul Fitz do you know if you can bring a dog with you with the blackstairs hillwalkers?

Not sure about bringing dogs on walk, didn't see any when I walked with them. Don't see a problem. Probably best to contact them directly for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I generally get to the nine stones (i think thats what its called) from Myshall. Theres a parking area and usually an Ice Cream man!

I was there back in May, when we had our summer, and the poor fecker had melted!

• Advertisement

Hope these files are not too big. Some of the terrain would be suitable for running but as you can see from the photos a lot of it isin't. The last thing you would want to do is break an ankle up these as a rescue would take hours. A lot of the roads from the nine stones in both directions would be pretty good for running and would still have incredible scenary.

testicle wrote: »
    I was there back in May, when we had our summer, and the poor fecker had melted!

LMAO!!

Hey paul thanks a mill for them pics they look great i think i'll go out with the ramblers a few times and get used to the route then start running it.

Advertisement