Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you Dublin Bus

Options
  • 09-09-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Right so, today on the way into college, got the train to Sydney Parade. A Dart pulled in going the opposie direction. Number 3 bus crosses the level crossing and the driver can clearly see 2 train loads of people running to the bus stop. What does he do?
    If you guessed pull away right as the first of us reach the bus stop you win the cigar.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

similar sort of thing happens at every DART station with a bus stop outside - there's no official integration between the buses and the trains, it gives some of the drivers the excuse to act like jerks. Just one of the joys of Dublin transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BogWog

Some bus drivers are sound. Some are *****. Its as simple as that. Bus drivers usually let me on the bus when I don't have enough money but one night I was a euro short on the nightlink bus home and the bastard wouldn't let me on. He also gave me a piece of paper in exchange for all my money I put in the box. Had to sleep on some concrete steps in town that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

1. Was the bus full?
    2. Was that bus already late?

If the bus was full then fair enough.

If the bus was already running late would you expect him to hang around? What if you were a passenger on that bus, it was running late and it was touch and go that you were going to be on-time/late for an interview or important meeting. Would you appreciate the driver delaying even further? No you wouldn't, you'd post on boards saying "Thank you Dublin Bus" and give out about the driver who stopped and waited for another 5 minutes while a ton of passengers boarded.

If the bus wasn't already running late then yes, the driver was a **** for not waiting a second or two longer. As has been said, some are very decent and others aren't.

Yes, the integration of services is dire and needs to be improved but OP, are you sure he wasn't already running 5 minutes late?

I was one of the first people on the bus. There weren't that many people waiting either. The driver was just a prick. I couldn't help starting a fight with the driver and that just completely wiped out any chance of him letting me on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

BogWog wrote: »
    Bus drivers usually let me on the bus when I don't have enough money but one night I was a euro short on the nightlink bus home and the bastard wouldn't let me on.

Well try next time when your going for a pint if the barman will let you off €1 for your pint, I think not. If you can afford to get into town you should be able to afford to get home, otherwise stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yes, the integration of services is dire and needs to be improved but OP, are you sure he wasn't already running 5 minutes late?

Who's to say when a bus is late? Most routes only give you the departure time, and maybe a guideline journey time...

I don't think most people would mind waiting a minute for people getting on the bus.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Well try next time when your going for a pint if the barman will let you off €1 for your pint, I think not. If you can afford to get into town you should be able to afford to get home, otherwise stay at home.
    Words of wisdom Tipsy Mac, words of wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

BogWog wrote: »
    Words of wisdom Tipsy Mac, words of wisdom.

Indeed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    1. Was the bus full?
    2. Was that bus already late?

If the bus was full then fair enough.

If the bus was already running late would you expect him to hang around? What if you were a passenger on that bus, it was running late and it was touch and go that you were going to be on-time/late for an interview or important meeting. Would you appreciate the driver delaying even further? No you wouldn't, you'd post on boards saying "Thank you Dublin Bus" and give out about the driver who stopped and waited for another 5 minutes while a ton of passengers boarded.

If the bus wasn't already running late then yes, the driver was a **** for not waiting a second or two longer. As has been said, some are very decent and others aren't.

Bus was empty and I can't be sure if the bus was on time or not (afaik Dublin Bus only use a timetable for the bus leaving the terminus)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maybe the driver couldn't afford to wait so as to make his next departure time.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »
    Maybe the driver couldn't afford to wait so as to make his next departure time.

Probably, he still managed to piss off a load of damp students though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

pithater1 wrote: »
    a load of damp students

everyone knows thats the worst kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Either start walking or get used to it tbh (I'm aware though it was raining this morning). I did that commute for 4 years, most of the time they waited for us to be fair to them.

tribulus wrote: »
    Either start walking or get used to it tbh (I'm aware though it was raining this morning). I did that commute for 4 years, most of the time they waited for us to be fair to them.

In fairness I do normally walk that route, but the weather today was just a tad damp for that :D

Advertisement