Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with 19.2E

Options
  • 09-09-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, I've been trying to focus on Astra 19.2E but my receiver keeps picking up the English channels on Astra 28.2 instead.
    (Eventually I want to have both functioning on 2 separate LNBs).
    All the manuals / websites say that you should pick a channel you want to tune into and then use your compass / trial and error to get the signal.
    I don't have a compass but I'm pretty sure from my research that as I'm in Cork I need to set the dish at 25.3 approx elevation and then swing it around to find 19.2.
    I used the preset channel list to go to Arte (German channel) and then got the signal strength up to 70%. However when I look at the picture there's nothing there.
    So then I do more research and I find that the receiver (Comag / Silvercrest from Lidl) doesn't seem to have the same frequencies for Arte as on sites such as Lyngsat.com. Now maybe that's because the receiver is actually picking up the Astra 28.2 rather than the Astra 19.2 but I find all of this confusing...
    So I manually programme in Transponder 51; Frequency 10744 H; Video PID 401; Audio PID 402; PCR PID 401.
    (To be honest I'm not sure about this part - I think the receiver's method of adding a new channel is very restrictive; when you try to add the channel you select the transponder and then you don't have a choice of frequency. But you can go out to Transponder setup; tell the transponder that when it's on TP51 it should have frequency 10744 H; then go back to add the channel.
    This doesn't make much sense to me.)
    Anyway having done this I still have 70% signal but no picture.
    I can provide more details later but has anybody any ideas from what I've said as to what I may be doing wrong?
    By the way, I have a new Edision receiver sitting in a box waiting to be used in a second room once I get the first room working so if you think I should try that then I will.
    My dish is a Triax 88 cm (bought this to replace the Lidl one so that I could easily fit two LNBs).
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

To put it simply your dish is out of alignment, tweak it until you have both quality and signal reading. Try a different German channel.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I wouldn't think the dish is out of alignment, more like pointing 9 degrees too far East, if the OP is getting BBC, ITV, etc.

The reason the picture is blank when Arte is selected is because your dish is pointing at 28E, and that transponder, 10744 H, is used on both 19E and 28E, making you think that even though there is good signal quality, it's not Arte, but in fact the encrypted RTE channels on 28E. Just because you've selected the 19E channel list in the menus, doesn't mean you're going to get the 19E channels if the dish is pointing at 28E; you would need a motor to move the dish to achieve that.

Do a TP scan of that transponder, and you'll scan in the Irish channels, but they too will be blank, because they're encrypted. Test the teletext, and you'll find the Aertel pages.

If the receiver doesn't seem to have the exact frequencies, do an Auto Scan, and it will find all the transponders available at the satellite you're pointing your dish at.

Some useful pages:
    http://www.flysat.com/astra19.php
    http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

Advertisement