Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pine or deal?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Trying to decide on internal joinery at the moment. Have picked a door in 'knotty pine', but trying to decide on architraves, skirting etc. I have been told that red deal would be a good bit cheaper than knotty pine for these. Will there be a noticeable difference if I go for knotty pine for the doors and red deal for architraves / skirting? Is there much of a difference quality wise between the two (shrikage, warping etc). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

You have been informed correctly. Pine would be a denser material, but if you just want trimmings such as skirting and architrave, structural properties are not that important and they look quite close. Make sure that you apply your chosen finish (varnish or wax) to all surfaces at the same time and they will age at the same rate. (that is they will go slightly darker than they are now). White deal is cheaper than red deal and if chosen correctly can be a good enough substitute too. I suggest you get a sample of red deal and white deal and compare them to your doors and choose whichever one you are most happy with.
    Hope this helps!
    Jac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

You have been misled. There is no timber called deal inspite of the common use of this word. It simply means a plank.

Your question should be, should you use pine or spruce or larch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Scania wrote: »
    It simply means a plank.

The only part of this message that I can read:rolleyes:

Advertisement