Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing in Australia - ??

Options
  • 08-09-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi
    I’m 26 and considering a move to Australia’s Gold Coast/ East Coast. Its a huge decision to make . I’m a psychiatric / mental health nurse and am looking for some information on living and working in Oz . If anyone has worked over there as a nurse i'd love to hear about ye're expierences........

Thanks
    lor:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I know about 10 nurses currently in Sydney, mainly around I.C.U.

so what questions do you have? after living with one for a year, and knowing her friends (who are my friends now) I can probably answer some questions

Although not as a mental health nurse, what questions did you have?

but they are short on nurses in Oz, and are always in demand

here are some websites that night help
    Australian Nursing Federation -> http://www.anf.org.au/
    http://www.nursingjobs.com.au/
    http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Hi,

My OH is currently doing nursing here in the Gold Coast. Basically you can set it all up before you leave Ireland. Get in touch with an agency here, she used Clinical One. Get them to post you over all the forms and you fill them in and send them back along with a police check, your registration in which ever state you deside to work in and a few other bits and pieces. I would strongly advise doing this before you leave Ireland as there is quite a bit to it...about 40+ pages of forms and you will need your medical books to fill some of them in.

Once your registered then you tell them what hours you want to work and they ring you if they have work, currently there is any amount of work for nurses in Oz. You get to pick what hospitals etc you want to be available for and then if things go well you'll get offered a contract in them, say 3/6 month. Were on the Gold Coast here and it's alright I guess, I work in IT and am finding it very hard to get work so we might move on.

My advice to you would be 6 month career break and come out here and work as a contract nurse and see how you like it. I personally don't see the fuss about living here, but thats probably just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Farls wrote: »
    I personally don't see the fuss about living here, but thats probably just me!

Hi Hurin! Glad to see you decided to head to Oz and check it out!!!

Hi Hurin! Glad to see you decided to head to Oz and check it out!!!

I'm lost?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm lost?!

It's a long story... we had a poster called Hurin who posted a thread asking why people would ever want to go to NZ or Aus. The thread was really in completely in the wrong place because most posters here either live there or want to live there. He wa projecting to the wrong audience.

And now, back on topic please!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    It's a long story... we had a poster called Hurin who posted a thread asking why people would ever want to go to NZ or Aus. The thread was really in completely in the wrong place because most posters here either live there or want to live there. He wa projecting to the wrong audience.

And now, back on topic please!

Ah right I wasn't to know, long time poster but not so many posts :cool:

From the looks of the thread and forum in general people want an honest view on things and instead of shouting its good/its bad I'm just telling my own experience which is what I would of appreciated a lot more before I came out than "you'll have a blast" "you'll get work no problem" "the place is great" etc. Now I'm not running it into the ground by no means, fantastic place just make sure you know what you doing before you make the leap! And as always have a back up plan, grass is always greener etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

lornamc wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m 26 and considering a move to Australia’s Gold Coast/ East Coast. Its a huge decision to make . I’m a psychiatric / mental health nurse and am looking for some information on living and working in Oz . If anyone has worked over there as a nurse i'd love to hear about ye're expierences........

Thanks
    lor:confused:

Lorna
    I currently work in this area I'll pm you
    Paxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lornamc

Hi and thanksa million for the info. I have a few questions about the type of settings agency nurses have the opportunity to work in, especially on the gold coast. There seems to be a lots of work but is it all hospital based. I have been working in a community based setting for over 4 years so I don’t have that much acute experience. What do ye think of the wages? I'm on point 5 of the incremental scale here in Eire - will that count in Oz.

Do ye ever think of moving permanently to Oz or are ye only there for a year or so?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ah right I wasn't to know, long time poster but not so many posts :cool:

From the looks of the thread and forum in general people want an honest view on things and instead of shouting its good/its bad I'm just telling my own experience which is what I would of appreciated a lot more before I came out than "you'll have a blast" "you'll get work no problem" "the place is great" etc. Now I'm not running it into the ground by no means, fantastic place just make sure you know what you doing before you make the leap! And as always have a back up plan, grass is always greener etc.

Fair, honest advice is exactly what we're looking for here. More posts like yours above are very welcome. You're right about people wanting proper advice.

OP, best of luck... glad you got some nursing advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'm lost?!

Sorry Farls, that was a joke from another thread. Was a bit rude of me, my bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

PM sent

Advertisement