Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips On Painting your Aeg

Options
  • 08-09-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey Just wondering...

I was considering painting my CA m15 to suit my tac vest and my other camo but I wasnt to sure as to how to go about doing it, Anybody got any tips as in...
    - Paints (Spray)
    - Where to start painting
    - etc...

Or better yet if somebody was willing to do it Id pay if it wasnt to high.
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Aidan/defenderdude, is our local paint expert., i think he does custom jobs for a reasonable price too., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Hey Just wondering...

I was considering painting my CA m15 to suit my tac vest and my other camo but I wasnt to sure as to how to go about doing it, Anybody got any tips as in...
    - Paints (Spray)
    - Where to start painting
    - etc...

Or better yet if somebody was willing to do it Id pay if it wasnt to high.
    Cheers in advance
    from what i hear its krylon paint you should be looking for. I think they have it in main irish airsoft
    What type of camo do you have some can be harder to do than others. look it up on youtube i think youl find some pretty decent video instructions
    and for people i know who can paint them mark from fingal airsoft does but i dont know if he does it for people but im sure a lil brown envalope could help!!!! lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

lol cheers ill have a look now =]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

cant say iv much experience iv only painted one but the one tip i got that i wanna pass on is

PREPARATION PREPARATION PREPARATION!!

its well worth it! it took me about 3 hours to mask up my guns and only about half hour to paint it:D

also try and practice and experiment on some cardboard or and old gun and get kyrlon its deadly stuff they have it in MIA.

god luck with it!

krylon is only a brand name though, its far more important to get the preperation and application right.,
    the first thing you'll be looking at is a good primer that'll bond to plastic. otherwise the paint will just flake off over time. you have to key the surface of the gun to get it preped for the primer to stick, then when ya have that done, it can get a lick of paint. you could also laquer it afterwards if you like, theres glossy laquers, mat laquers etc etc.,

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, Any prices on the Krylon ?

*edit* Sorry richie just read your post there, could you explaing Keying the surface ? and any recomendations on primer ?

here it is here mate

http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=351

what tyre of camo you trying to do?

Ermm I got the green viper vest from Eirsoft the other day, the 45 euro one, So whatvere thats called lol

its just plain green is it?

Sorry lol,

http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=118

Theres link, Best way of describing it xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Honestly, just go ask defenderdude. He's positively rembrant with AEGs and Krylon

Cheers mate, Any prices on the Krylon ?

*edit* Sorry richie just read your post there, could you explaing Keying the surface ? and any recomendations on primer ?

no probs man,
    Keying is just a term for roughing up the sirface with sand paper in order to take the shine off the item and allow the paint to grip onto it. you can use a P600 or P800 paper from halfords to do this, then clean it with alcohol/panel wipe/white spirits/IPA etc.
    that gets rid of anything thats likely to make the paint blister or "fisheye". which is another term for when the paint bubbles and doesnt grip porperly if theres contaminants on it. silicone oil is a bastid for this and its used a lot in airsoft., you wanna keep silicone oil away from the job the whole time and make sure everything to be painted is well cleaned.,

The primer will depend on what the item you are painting is made from, plasitc or abs guns will need a plastic primer etc.,

ah that shouldnt be too hard to doif you cut out some stencils in cardboard.

there is some good videos on youtube showing how to kyrlon if you can put up with the americans describing how to do it!!!:D

just search for kyrlon an aeg or something like that!

Lemming wrote: »
    Honestly, just go ask defenderdude. He's positively rembrant with AEGs and Krylon

Is he on boards and how do I find him if he is ? :confused:

Is he on boards and how do I find him if he is ? :confused:

the top of the page on the blue bar you will see members list go there and search for defenderdude

yeah hes done some brilliant AEGs in the past including, multicam, Marpat, brit DPM etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This is the good mans profile: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=7070

I have a BAR 10 sniper rifle painted by him spot on it is, dropped it on

concrete and the floor took more damage than the paint :pac:

top man with paint he is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lemming wrote: »

Yeah, cept I'm 99% sure he doesnt use krylon, he found some other stuff that works better.

He is in the process of doing my Aug, missing a shade but it looks amazing. Cant wait till I get it back, richies multicam will have nothing on me.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

i want to get my guns done in marpat
    anyone know who is good at it

Yeah, cept I'm 99% sure he doesnt use krylon, he found some other stuff that works better.

He is in the process of doing my Aug, missing a shade but it looks amazing. Cant wait till I get it back, richies multicam will have nothing on me.:P

He doesnt actually use over the counter paints, he works in the paint industry so can make pretty much any type or shade he likes., :)
    and no lethal, its still gonna be an AUG, WITH A CMAG!.,:p and it wont be better paintjob either, why you may ask? coz im getting the milticam rifle off aidan., haha., :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Does defenderdude have an album on an image hosing website? or does anyone have pictures of his work?

theres some in the "photo's of your airsoft" in the review section., they might not be posted by him but by people who he did work for.,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vtec wrote: »
    He doesnt actually use over the counter paints, he works in the paint industry so can make pretty much any type or shade he likes., :)
    and no lethal, its still gonna be an AUG, WITH A CMAG!.,:p and it wont be better paintjob either, why you may ask? coz im getting the milticam rifle off aidan., haha., :p

Yeah, its still multicam! Little bit of everything, its like being 10th fastest funner, 10th in the world cup, 10th in le monde, you arent **** but you arent great at anything either. Get some proper camo!

Err, you have a cmag on an AUG, man....
    I rest my case..

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ASI Casper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgdfoIRbgk

http://www.optactical.com/weaponpainting.html

Kerbdog on ASI is a legend with a few cans of krylon. He might be the man to talk to if you want some advice / tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Thank you for your compliments guys - I'm sitting here with a big rooster microwave head on me.:o:o:o:o:o:o

Just echo'ing that Preparation is 95% of it and silicone oil is no longer your friend when it comes to painting.

I am in the lucky position where I can use far higher-quality 2 component paints as opposed to krylon/a.n.other aerosol, but these are still great as you dont "need" a spraybooth - (which I am without for the next number of weeks :( )

Take the time to prep and clean - best to use an alcohol type cleaner if you can get it such as IPA (iso propyl alcohol) - safest on the plastics (and your skin) and also imparts an anti-static quality which will help keep dust inclusions down.

Generally, start with lighter colours (except when doing tigerstripe:o) - I should have put the black down first:o

Just use your imagination - look at a pattern and try workout the order or colour application/masking/stenciling you would likely use.

There's a few pics from some of the AEG's I've painted here:

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn149/PvtBogman/?albumview=slideshow

They're no masterpieces I can assure you.
    There's loads of techniques you can use - just have a look on youtube for an endless amount of how-to's on the subject...

In my opinion there's no skill in painting AEG's. Anyone can do it - it's nearly all prep and time if you want the more elaborate effects, but you can get some great complicated looking camo's very quickly and simply just using stencils made from grass, leaves, hair, cotton wool etc...

Try go for something different - if you F it up you can always do it again (or say that's the way it was supposed to be...;) )

hey defender just had a look at you album there and wow there is some seriously cool paint jobs in there!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

hey defender just had a look at you album there and wow there is some seriously cool paint jobs in there!!!!!

Thanks Peter. It's all just prep and time. Anyone can do it and better.

Advertisement