Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad questions

Options
  • 08-09-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, excuse the ignorance haha..

I am currently substituting in a primary school and am hoping to get into hibernia next year to do the post grad in primary education. I hope to continue to do the h-dip in resource teaching but i was wondering if after the post grad does this mean qualified primary teacher as a girl i know who has completed is now going ahead to do a h dip also for mainstream.

apologies again if this is somewhere else

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Hi Lainey,
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you may just be getting confused.
    So, you're going to do the post grad with Hibernia next year.
    This IS a HDip in Primary Education.
    When you graduate with that, you are a qualified teacher.

I'm forgetting about your HDip in Resource plans for a minute, as they're irrelevant.

Every qualified teacher, whether that be through a B'Ed, PGCE, or HDip, then has to do there DIP.
    I think this might be where you're getting confused, but let me know if I'm wrong.

A Dip, is where you are teaching in a school for a full year & an inspector visits numerous times a year to ensure you are teaching properly, keeping proper plans & records etc. At the end of the year, if you've done everything satisfactorily, you are 'Dipped' & then you are a fully fully qualified teacher.

Does that clear things up for you, or have I missed your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Hi Lainey,
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you may just be getting confused.
    So, you're going to do the post grad with Hibernia next year.
    This IS a HDip in Primary Education.
    When you graduate with that, you are a qualified teacher.

I'm forgetting about your HDip in Resource plans for a minute, as they're irrelevant.

Every qualified teacher, whether that be through a B'Ed, PGCE, or HDip, then has to do there DIP.
    I think this might be where you're getting confused, but let me know if I'm wrong.

A Dip, is where you are teaching in a school for a full year & an inspector visits numerous times a year to ensure you are teaching properly, keeping proper plans & records etc. At the end of the year, if you've done everything satisfactorily, you are 'Dipped' & then you are a fully fully qualified teacher.

Does that clear things up for you, or have I missed your point?

By the way, I assume Boozybabe is using the term "dip" there as a slang for the probationary year. I've never heard it referred to as that, but it's plausible!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

By the way, I assume Boozybabe is using the term "dip" there as a slang for the probationary year. I've never heard it referred to as that, but it's plausible!

All the primary teaching students I know refer to the year after college as the dip year....I was never sure what it was though until now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

janeybabe wrote: »
    All the primary teaching students I know refer to the year after college as the dip year....I was never sure what it was though until now!

Yep.. Probation year was known as dip year for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Should have pointed out that my background was second-level teaching, so the lingo is obviously different!

• Advertisement
Advertisement