Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie not honouring bets

Options
  • 08-09-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I backed Padraig harrington in running (Friday morning 20e e/w) to win the British Open at 20/1. I have had an account with Boylesports for almost 5 years (since been closed). At the time, I had just changed my lasercard so the customer service agent said "there is a referral on your card, I'll need to check with the bank if its ok. If there is a problem I'll call you back." I never recieved a call or a voicemail to say that my bet was not on - so naturally presumed my money was down. That is until Sunday morning when I tried to place another bet - and told there was a problem with my card. I asked had the harrington bet gone thru and was told it hadnt. was cracking up! i called customer service and was basically told to f*** off and forget about it.

Anyone think I have a leg to stand on? I have heard of the Evening Herald punter's platform have some sort of system for taking up punters grievances but I cant seem to get hold of their number / contact details. Anyone know what they are?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Tricky one. If you called the bet in by phone, the conversation would definitely have been taped. That said, it's their word against yours.

You could contact your card company to see whether they authorised the transaction. If the card company approved the transaction you could be ok.

Am practically neurotic about placing bets online these days as I've had a few lesser known bookies pull fast ones on me. I now take screen shots of all confirmed bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

EG77 wrote: »
    I backed Padraig harrington in running (Friday morning 20e e/w) to win the British Open at 20/1. I have had an account with Boylesports for almost 5 years (since been closed). At the time, I had just changed my lasercard so the customer service agent said "there is a referral on your card, I'll need to check with the bank if its ok. If there is a problem I'll call you back." I never recieved a call or a voicemail to say that my bet was not on - so naturally presumed my money was down. That is until Sunday morning when I tried to place another bet - and told there was a problem with my card. I asked had the harrington bet gone thru and was told it hadnt. was cracking up! i called customer service and was basically told to f*** off and forget about it.

Anyone think I have a leg to stand on? I have heard of the Evening Herald punter's platform have some sort of system for taking up punters grievances but I cant seem to get hold of their number / contact details. Anyone know what they are?

Thanks

Been honest I would doubt very much you were basically told f**k off, I'm with them years never had any trouble with them.

Been honest you don't really a leg to stand on bookmakers don't have to pay out something stupid about the law of you ask me.

Go to Boyles and complain about the way you were treated on the phone - I'm gguessing they never heard of the customer is alway's right.

If there was a card registered on your account and you changed your card without telling them I doubt they will pay, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

u'd a problem with ur card-no comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Much of Boylesports staff are pretty imcompetent but they are fair and i am on their side in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mezcita wrote: »
    You could contact your card company to see whether they authorised the transaction. If the card company approved the transaction you could be ok.

Good advice. As I remember when I opened an account I was told quite clearly that if the card transaction was not authorised, then the bet was void win or lose. Contact your bank and see what they say and then go on from there. Obviously if they tell you the transaction was declined then I'm afraid it's zippo for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

the only way you'll get paid on that bet is if someone high up in boylesports authorises a payout on the grounds of goodwill but the chances of this happening are miniscule and i can tell you that from experience cos i used to work for them. ive seen plenty of cases where the punter got shafted but the reality is that when you place a bet it is not any sort of legally binding contract so if the bookie decides not to pay you out thats their decision and its pretty much final. if they tried to put the bet on and your card didnt work then they have a good case not to pay you out, its up to the punter to make sure their account is in credit at the time of the bet. when the card didnt work they really should have rang you back but your mistake was assuming the bet was struck. anyway, i feel for you because its happened to me before but you arent getting paid.. good luck anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EG77

i know i have no chance getting it back. would love to torch one of their shops!

Advertisement