Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flagged down 8 taxis on Friday night - all had lights on - not one stopped

Options
  • 08-09-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

was on my home from the pub friday night (about 11pm). Was walking from O'Brien's pub on leeson street. walked up along mespil street (road??) by the canal

It started raining so I said I'd get a taxi even if I wasn't going too far (stone's throw from Holles Street).

Along the way I flagged 8 taxis, all of which had their lights on. Not one of them stopped to pick me up.

I often have to listen to taxi drivers moan that they can't make a living but this isn't the first time either my friends or I have come across a situation where they are refusing to stop and pick up fares. Fair enough it was a short journey but the drivers wouldn't have known this. Even if they had I was going in a direction towards the city center. I assume most were going that way anyhow and I'd have paid them for the priviledge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Were you drunk? Most taxi drivers can sense people by the way they walk, the last thing they want is to clean up a load of puke from the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pretty sure that if someone rang for those cabs, technically they can't turn off the light until they've actually picked up their fare.

Am I right?

Sounds daft, but I'd believe it anyway...
    Had the same happen to me Sat night, and was with my g/f and not at all drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Light isn't connected to the meter so they can turn then on and off at will. If you've taken a shout (radio/phonecall/whatever) you're not for hire...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The light should be connected to the meter and it should be a requirement that the meter is running to drive in buslanes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So technically a taxi can't return quickly to say the city centre via a buslane unless it's got a passenger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Red Alert wrote: »
    So technically a taxi can't return quickly to say the city centre via a buslane unless it's got a passenger?

Yes, or on it's way to collect a fare that has been booked.
    It's one of these laws that exists but has never, ever been enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I've had this problem before, often when I haven't been drinking (and often when I have, to be fair). I've found that sometimes it depends on what direction you're heading. Cross the road and suddenly it becomes easier to grab a cab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Were you drunk? Most taxi drivers can sense people by the way they walk, the last thing they want is to clean up a load of puke from the back seat.

Nope. Only had a few after and was walking home. Would have happily walked except for the weather.

Advertisement