Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat TDI 130

Options
  • 08-09-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Is 100k miles on a 2001 Passat TDI 130 , a lot of miles?

Also is there much a difference between the three different TDIs? I think they are 100, 110 and 130 right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

100k is not huge mileage for a 7 year old diesel car, really depends how it was driven and maintained. Make sure it has some sort of service history to back that mileage up.

Back in 2001 Passat 1.9 TDi was available in a number of different tuned states defined by the colour of the TDi badge on the boot:

90bhp - non PD - TDI
    110bhp - non PD - TDI

100bhp - PD - TDI
    130bhp - PD - TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Is 100k miles on a 2001 Passat TDI 130 , a lot of miles?

Also is there much a difference between the three different TDIs? I think they are 100, 110 and 130 right?

Those cars might do 300k for you, so 100k might not be considered a lot in the overall life of those cars. Have your mechanic check to see if it is 'clocked'. Many of them have much more mileage than that, in reality.

I think that there is a 130bhp and a 90bhp engine. The 130bhp is much more powerful than the 90bhp and more fuel efficient as well, if you look at the fuel consumption figures for that car www.sei.ie. I don't think that there is a 100 or a 110 bhp, subject to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Those cars might do 300k for you, so 100k might not be considered a lot in the overall life of those cars. Have your mechanic check to see if it is 'clocked'. Many of them have much more mileage than that, in reality.

I think that there is a 130bhp and a 90bhp engine. The 130bhp is much more powerful than the 90bhp and more fuel efficient as well, if you look at the fuel consumption figures for that car www.sei.ie. I don't think that there is a 100 or a 110 bhp, subject to correction.

Correction coming! In 2001 the facelift Passat came out. Before that, the non PD engines were 90 and 110bhp. Once the facelift went on sale it was available with the 100 and 130bhp PD engines.
    The 100bhp PD engine is very close to the 110 non-PD, due to the increased torque. The 130 is a notable increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

have a 01 130bhp audi a4 basically the same car 125k on it never a bother service regularly and you will get no problems!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Biro wrote: »
    Correction coming! In 2001 the facelift Passat came out. Before that, the non PD engines were 90 and 110bhp. Once the facelift went on sale it was available with the 100 and 130bhp PD engines.
    The 100bhp PD engine is very close to the 110 non-PD, due to the increased torque. The 130 is a notable increase.

I think some early versions of the B5.5 Passat were sold with the non PD engines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think some early versions of the B5.5 Passat were sold with the non PD engines.

I've never seen one, and I was looking for that back at the time it was released too. You could be right, but if there was, then the chances of getting one are as small as the chances of getting a cut and shut one! :)
    They did over lap the engines in the Golf alright, but not the Passat to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Biro wrote: »

There was a 115bhp also on the pre 2001 facelift (I had one in the UK in '01/'02). My understanding they were all PD engines - but I may be corrected.
    I currently have a 130bhp '04 estate passat (4 s@le on the sister site), with 96k on it. The only work it required was recent front pads and the timing belt/waterpump.
    I have to say that having driven many other cars between these 2 passats, these were the most reliable for big mileages.
    If a specific car is going to be troublesome (from a typically reliable brand), it usually has manifested itself by 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Tried to post back earlier and say thanks lads, but the internet crapped out on me.

I reckon I'll be looking for the 130 then. The SEI site suggests 48MPG even though it's the 130 model which seems quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I get about 48mpg average on mixed driving. During the really high prices recently, I tried a few hypermiling techniques on the commute (40psi in tyres, do 100kph on motorways safely behind trucks, remove roof bars and extra weight in car). Managed to get it up to 54mpg, and about 750 miles to the tank (the trip computer on them is excellent for keeping track). Certainly took the sting out of the fuel price. :cool:

Even tried it on the petrol Saab 9-5 2.0t auto est, and got 40mpg!!!!!
    :eek: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

scaldybelt wrote: »
    Managed to get it up to 54mpg, and about 750 miles to the tank (the trip computer on them is excellent for keeping track

:eek: :cool:

You should factor in a 10% error to the trip readings (10% error in the less favourable direction of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

A well maintained PD 130 (estate or saloon) should return at least 45 mpg min. I regulary travel to Donegal from Cork and get over 50 mpg. Every time. I don't horse it about on the main roads and try to be as an efficent driver as I reasonably can.
    Doing the dog, (late for work, traffic stops, short spins,etc.) it will get 45mpg.

Advertisement