Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for PGDE? No Jobs? Help!

Options
  • 08-09-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

Hello, this is a 2-part post and I would appreciate any and all input.

Firstly,
    I have been planning on applying for the PGDE for some time now and today I received the PGDE Handbook 2009 from the PAC.

I just read the No jobs! thread, my heart dropped.

Should I be reconsidering my application? Is it really that impossible to find any kind of work once qualified? My degree is not in one of the much sought after subjects (sciences, gaeilge etc).

I have a huge amount of experience teaching young people in an outdoor adventure type environment and some in a classroom environment. I feel I am extremely well suited to this profession and I have a passion for my subject (History). I know that a permanent job is not going to happen for the foreseeable future but from the comments on this thread it seems that coming by any work at all is next to impossible these days and the situation is set to get worse. Would this be a fair assessment? Once qualified is it likely that I will get enough hours to sustain a living?

Secondly,
    I have been told that I really need to be building up classroom experience prior to even doing the PGDE (in order to be accepted into the course) and as such I spent this morning going around the schools in my locality offering myself as emergency stand-in cover and leaving in CVs. Is this the case? Will I be wasting my time in applying from the PGDE without proper classroom experience? From reading the "NO jobs!" thread it seems that I don't have a hope in hell of getting a call back from any of these schools while qualified teachers are failing to find work.

To summarize:

Is this a terrible time to be getting in to teaching?

Should I bother applying for the PGDE?

Should I spend the next few months tying to get classroom experience in order to improve my chances of being accepted into PGDE courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

ferdi wrote: »

I have been told that I really need to be building up classroom experience prior to even doing the PGDE (in order to be accepted into the course) and as such I spent this morning going around the schools in my locality offering myself as emergency stand-in cover and leaving in CVs.

Should I spend the next few months tying to get classroom experience in order to improve my chances of being accepted into PGDE courses?

I will deal with these two remarks which are essentially about the same thing i.e. the significance of teaching experience for the PGDE, and sincerely hope that it does not sidetrack the thread and leave the rest of the questions unanswered.

As far as I was aware, the PGDE is decided on points alone, and classroom experience is relevant only where it garners points if you have enough hours worked.

I don't believe there is any qualitative aspect to the application process where they would examine an application and consider experience, personality etc.

From what I have seen on the application, classroom experience is relevant only if it affects your points total. Hundreds of people applying for the PGDE across the nation will not even have completed their under-grad at the time of applying, never mind having class-room experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ferdi wrote: »
    Hello, this is a 2-part post and I would appreciate any and all input.

Is this a terrible time to be getting in to teaching?

Should I bother applying for the PGDE?

By all means apply and see how you feel when/if you get offered the Dip but don't be in any disillusion that theres loads of jobs out there, there is not. Colleges have lots of places on the Dip that in no way correspond to the jobs availability. Depends on your subjects/toleration levels and determination to get into teaching but with cutbacks and less jobs in other sectors, teaching is becoming a very popular option now. When I joined up, the boom was attracting lots into industry yet jobs weren't exactly plentiful either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

It does not matter if you dont have any teaching experience when applying for the PGDE, if you have enough points to gain entry without it.

Teaching experience is only necessary for the application process if, like me, you didnt have enough points to qualify with your Primary Degree.

Qualification on Primary Degree results only is hard, but not impossible, many people go straight into their PGDE from college without a break.

However, from my own experience, it is best to have some teaching experience under your belt, if not for your application, just for your own benefit. I know that after 3 years of teaching experience is going to help me alot once I start the PGDE in September 2009 (If I get a place)

It will also confirm to you that you are making the right choice. How do you know you want to teach until you really try it!!

I would advise you to definately take up a job in a school for your own benefit.

What are your subjects? And what do you do now if you dont mind me asking?

Also, if you have any Postgraduate courses under your belt, they count for points too. I just got a copy of the handbook myself, and Im going to read it too,

good luck!!

Advertisement