If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Panasonic 46"

Options
  • 08-09-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Getting ready to splash out on a new TV.
    I *think* I have it narrowed down to a 46" Panny plasma, but which one?

I will be watching mostly Sky, from a HD box. Some Bluray material. No games console yet, maybe a Wii at some point, but no xbox or playstation.

The choices are the PZ80, 81 or 85.

Best all rounder is probably the PZ80, is the 85 worth the extra? IFC seems to be split, some like it, others leave it switched off.
    What about the Freesat on the 81. Worth getting?

@ Dave or John Mc,
    Can you provide pricing on the above sets?

Any other recommendations/opinions, feel free to add !!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The 46pz80 is the only one i would consider.The pz80 is already an excellent set and i wouldnt think the extra cost is worth it for the pz81 or pz85.As for that Freesat HD on the pz81.That'd be totally useless in this country because HD aint anywhere on RTE's radar and it wont be for quite a while, i suspect!!:rolleyes: Even more so because you already have Sky HD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Comparing them, the PZ85 adds intelligent frame creation and 24p playback. Also, some extra audio options.
    I know that IFC is not liked by everyone but it can be switched off if I don't like it.
    24p playback with a 24p capable Bluray player is supposed to be excellent, and very film like.

Decisions, decisions......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The pz80 has 24p playback also.It says so here.It would have to have 24p playback anyway seeing as it is one of the requirements in order for a tv to be certified "HD Ready 1080p"

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

I've been looking at the pz80 vs pz85 myself, and it seems that while the pz80 can accept a 24p signal, it actually uses 3:2 pulldown to display it.

The pz85 uses 4:4 pulldown (called "24p real cinema" by panasonic) which eliminates the judder. This is a pretty big deal if you're sensitive to that judder.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Hi,

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this, but as I understand it, the PZ81 range have Freesat tuners, not Irish terrestrial tuners - they receive Freesat:

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=What_is_Freesat_&ActinicSID=80037a5a5f9e964c1b2bc524545e09a9

None of these TVs will be able to tune the Irish terrestrial channels, either by the current analog braodcasts or by the looming DTT broadcasts - you'll need NTL or Sky to get them now, and a DTT tuner once DTT takes over from analog officially.

If you want to be able to record content from Freesat, you'd need a separate PVR-type Freesat receiver, which would then render the Freesat receiver in the PZ TV redundant, which would mean the PZ80 or PZ85 would be better for you.

I'm choosing a PZ80 and a separate Freesat HD PVR, and a DTT PVR - hopefully the PS3 + PlayTV if it ever becomes viable in Ireland.

Mark

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.