Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD tv - when will it become mainstream?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

What's the future for HD tv? Are all terrestrial channels going to adopt it over the next few years for their satellite broadcasts?

Right now looking at what sky is offering for 15 euro per month there isn't much available unless you subscribe to their sport/movie channels.

If you have an irish sky subscription and take the hd option (but not sports or movies) what hd channels do you get?

At the speed that RTE operate I cannot see them launching a hd channel for a decade. What about the UK terrestrial channels - I know they have been experimenting with hd channels but when are the main channel planning to go fully hd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Sky HD apparently defo not worth the 15 a month at the moment if you are not taking movies and sport - the sport looks amazing in HD from what I have heard

Also the ITV and BBC HD channels are only available through the "Other Channels" option meaning you can't even SKy+ these channels

Other than that - it's Discovery HD, FX HD and a couple of other channels through the EPG

Would love Sky HD - but not paying 15 a month for the above. If they threw in HD if you subscribed to a premium channel (similar to Sky+ charge they used to have) - then I would consider it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Note that ITV HD is not on a SkyHD box, and cannot be manually tuned in.

It's Freesat exclusive (an interactive "press Red for HD" channel), though many standard FTA boxes can tune it too in a roundabout way.

Not that you're missing much, as there is extremely little programming on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even if the main channels all went HD, it would be years later that they would be "proper HD"

It's worse than shooting safe 16:9 for 4:3. The wide shots that work on HD are too fussy in regular TV. Regular TV has far more closeups.

Compare Spagetti Westerns, LOTR, Willow, Ben Hur to Made for TV HD like Hogfather (no compelling reason to get it in HD).

Unlike the change from 405 line B&W to 625 line Colour, HD is not compelling unless truely shot for HD only (not safely for regular TV) and on a 48" to 72" screen.

Most WS "made for TV" content would be equally good if shot for 4:3. HD unless shot solely for HD is even less compelling.

And how much repeats are there that are not HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watty wrote: »
    Even if the main channels all went HD, it would be years later that they would be "proper HD"

True but in fairness 1080i is a big improvement over standard television.

Advertisement