Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platypus Hydration Pack

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:18am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a 2ltr platypus pack during the weekend and I have to say there's a awful taste of plastic from the unit, its not from the bag itself and it appears to be from the mouth piece.

Any suggestions how I can get rid of the after taste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Fill it with whisky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Just use it. It won't last long.

I write from recent personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah after the first few use's it'll go, in the mean time try using it with a bit of Robinson's / Kiora (sp?) and that'll help cover the taste.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've socked the mouth piece in water over the night so hoping that might help get rid of it after a few soaks, sure I'll see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

And a storage tip would be to either stick it in the freezer (empty) when you're done using it, or half fill with water and about a thimble full of Milton fluid. Rinse thoroughly and refill before use obviously. I've done both in the past and have had hydration bladders last several years without trouble.

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

soaking seems to have worked, taste is still there but no where near as bad I guess it'll improve with usage...atleast its usable now :)

thanks for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

I second the advice about the milton. The tubing on the first platypus I bought ended up with black mould type stuff inside it after a month. With the second one I soak it in milton/water after use and it's fine after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Thats why I avoid Platypus - i've heard about the aftertaste thingy. I've had a few Camelbaks down through the years and never had any taste problems even from new.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Thats why I avoid Platypus - i've heard about the aftertaste thingy. I've had a few Camelbaks down through the years and never had any taste problems even from new.

I wouldn't mind but I had the choice and went for the platy, oh well...after taste isn't as bad now so atleast thats something. Live and learn I guess :)

Advertisement