Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Safety Mirrors

Options
  • 07-09-2008 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the regulations are in relation to erecting mirrors on dangerous bends / junctions? As is always the case in Ireland I have got a plethora of different answer from the CoCo, Gardaí, residents associations etc...

The CoCo said just put it up and they would say nothing, others said you need an engineers report, planning permission, permission from the landowner and the list goes on and on...

You would imagine something like that to improve road safety wouldn't be met with such barriers...

Can anyone give me a definitive answer because I have given up on the local authorities etc...

Mirror Head

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't give you a definite answer but....

Would you not just put it up anyway? If it is deemed to be illegal or in breach of planning, at least it's easy to remove if necessary. If someone does have an objection to it I'm sure they will do all he necessary legwork to prove their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

who in there right mind would object to a mirror being used?? if the council said "sure put it up and we'll say nothing", who said "you need planning permission!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

TheNog wrote: »
    if the council said "sure put it up and we'll say nothing", who said "you need planning permission!?

A second person I spoke to in the CoCo said it :confused:. See what I mean about inconsistent answers!

Yes we probably should put it up regardless, but that's a separate issue as the money has to come from a residents association, who are saying they won't release the money until they have a letter from the council saying that it doesn't need PP and won't infringe on any laws. Two chances of that I'd say...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

god that pure and utter madness. If ye are forced to put up a mirror it really says it all about how dangerous it must be to leave your estate. I wonder what the RA will do when there is an accident and someone hurt?

Can you tell me what is the obstacle blocking your view?

and is your estate new? Just wondering about planning conditions. If the entrance/exit to your estate is dangerous then how come the council's planning dept. didn't attach conditions to make it safer for ye.

TheNog wrote: »
    god that pure and utter madness. If ye are forced to put up a mirror it really says it all about how dangerous it must be to leave your estate. I wonder what the RA will do when there is an accident and someone hurt?

Can you tell me what is the obstacle blocking your view?

and is your estate new? Just wondering about planning conditions. If the entrance/exit to your estate is dangerous then how come the council's planning dept. didn't attach conditions to make it safer for ye.

I live on a small road which joins the Fairyhouse Road in Ratoath, Co. Meath. Theres a small bend in the road (to my right as I exit the lane) at the junction of the lane and Fairyhouse Road. You can't see traffic coming from the right (from Ratoath village) so it's quite dangerous to exit the lane safely. The speed limit is 50KMPH but that's not adhered to with people blasting out the road from Ratoath at ricidulous speeds, making exiting the junction a perilous experience. Numerous times I have pulled out and nearly been T-Barred or rear ended by people coming from the village. And just for the record I'm not a slow driver who takes all day to exit a junction, I get out as fast as possible and accelerate away swiftly to minimise the risk of being in a collision, however that doesn't alleviate the problem much with the speeds people are doing.

I find that one of the best ways to get out of the junction is by listening for traffic coming from the right, from doing it over time you get used to judging how far away traffic is and it is somewhat helpful but is by no means a highly reliable solution, just another tool I suppose. Of course it depends on traffic volumes, noise, wind etc...

All that said, I have been living here for four years and I am not aware of any accident that has happened at the junction, which in itself is something that genuinely surprises me because it is very dangerous. I have seen numerous near misses and skids etc... but no accidents. Fingers crossed it will stay that way but I'm not confident that it will...

The mirror would greatly help people using this junction. In fact if I could get one on JumbleTown or somewhere like that I'd go and put it up this minute, otherwise god knows how long it will take as they are over €100 each for the proper ones...

The estate is probably about 5 - 6 years old. It's not just this estate though, on the lane there is another estate and loads of private houses that have been here for as long as Ratoath existed, so it's affecting probably acouple of hundred people. Actually, considering them numbers it might be worthwhile spending a few hours going round to as many residents of the lane as possible to get a few Euro's from everyone. You could probably collect the amount needed fairly quickly... Hmmm... I got me thinking now! It might be the best solution to the problem... ... ...

*** wanders off with a quizzical yet optimistic look on his face ***

Head

• Advertisement

Head wrote: »
    You can't see traffic coming from the right (from Ratoath village) so it's quite dangerous to exit the lane safely. Head

What's blocking your view?

Theres a small bend in the road (to my right as I exit the lane) at the junction of the lane and Fairyhouse Road. You can't see traffic coming from the right (from Ratoath village) so it's quite dangerous to exit the lane safely.

The small bend in the road prevents motorists from seeing oncoming traffic...

Head

The small bend in the road prevents motorists from seeing oncoming traffic...

Head

I mean what is on the bend? is it a tree or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,343 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it here: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=53.497486~-6.468168&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29500641&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1 ?

I think what you need is for the council to do some traffic calming. A mini roundabout might work wonders there.

Sorry Baker it's houses / walls / shrubs all along the road. As you can see from the map above (Thanks Victor) it's only a slight bend but has quite a straight leading up to it where people gather speed...

Roundabout would possibly be an option but there's not a lot of space there to manouver one in I'd say...

Head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Sounds like the best solution would be a speed camera on the main road ... <Ducks and runs for cover!>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As you say, might be best to just get one up (even if it's €100), and then see what the reaction is like, go to the council and get approval/letter, and then claim it back from the RA.

They are also notorious for being broken by kids, I'm sure there are toughened versions available (using plexiglass for example).

Advertisement