Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New speed limits on R155 - Fairyhouse Road, Ratoath...

Options
  • 07-09-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I noticed in the last week or two that there have been some changes to the existing speed limits and also some new speed limits introduced along the Fairyhouse Road...

The 60KMPH and 50KMPH signs on the way into the village (just beside Glascairn Lane) have been moved outwards (towards Fairyhouse). This would appear to be fair enough as it's a very busy road and the Glascairn Lane junction is a major accident waiting to happen...

However, the new speed limits which effectively cocoon Fairyhouse Motors and Fairyhouse Racecourse in a 50KMPH zone, I'm not so sure about. It seems odd that they would do this after the road being closed for a few days and totally resurfaced a few weeks ago. That's not usually something you associate with a speed limit decreasing.

Currently, driving from the N3 towards Ratoath you now encounter a 60KMPH and then 50KMPH about a half mile before the racecourse and shortly after the petrol station it eventually goes back up to 80KMPH, then a few hundred meters down the road it's 60KMPH and eventually back down to 50KMPH for your approach to the village... A bit up and down, but moreso down, just like the Irish economy I suppose :o It just doesnt seem to make sense on such a big road although I do concede that on certain days, today being one of them, the market traffic is terrible and slower speeds are probably wise given the volume of traffic going in and out of the racecourse site...

Another concern is that motorists in this new 50KMPH zone may become easy targets for Gardaí with speed cameras in hand...

To be honest I'm tempted to avoid the road altogether now and use the N2 because of how the speed limits will delay journeys and generally slow the flow of traffic...

I presume it's all in aid of safety but it just seems a bit strange. Anyone know if it's permanent / temporary or got any other ideas about it?

Head

PS: For the record the new speed limits don't seem to be making any difference to peoples speed, and also it appears to be causing a lot of annoyance for people who get stuck behind people driving at 50KMPH, hardly the goal of the CoCo but a side effect nonetheless...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

I too drive this road a couple of times a week and think a little more than coincidence that new speed limit is in place. TBH, the 50kph from montessori up to shell garage is madness.

For some reason, Ratoath seems to have been hit by speed reductions. The Ratoath-Hollystown is 50kph and its the best, straightest back-road in the country, same for Skyrne road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've noticed a lot of new reduced speed limits in the area lately too.

The Ashbourne roundabout to Swords road has a new 60 km/h limit for about half of it before it reverts back to an 80 zone.

Like the approach to Ratoath though, it doesn't seem to make any difference as most people still do the old limit (or above) anyway. Granted the Swords road is probably best with a 60 limit, but there's no reason for the Fairyhouse road to be so restricted especially after the recent resurfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

They've also extended Ashbourne's 50km/h limit on the R135 a good bit south - previously it was 60 from The Briars to near the bridge, where it went down to 50 but it's now 50 from The Briars.

Still no bus stop at The Briars but that's not for here....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It looks like Meath CoCo went a bit overboard on their speed limit sign ordering this year. I noticed a new 80 limit on the N3 approaching Kells today where the road narrows and the hard shoulder disappears.

Similarly Navan has had some new 50 signs go up (again on the N3) where they were previously 60.

Again though, no-one seems to be paying any attention so....

Advertisement