Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H Dip in Information Technology NUI Maynooth

Options
  • 07-09-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospective/higher_dip/HDipIT.shtml

Has anyone done this course, or a similar one?

I am just wondering what it is like basically.

Is it tough going, many hours a week etc?

I am considering doing it next year. The fact that it is only one year long though makes me think it is verrrrry tough going.

Also...what are job and career prospects after this course, and salary scales?

Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I did a H. Dip. in Software Design in NUIG last year, the course you linked to looks similar enough. What background are you coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

I currently have a 2.1 Business/Accounting degree.
    What are the job prospects like with this course?

Thanks a million!

The first semester was bringing everyone up to speed on the various technologies/methodologies i.e. programming basics, databases, software engineering etc. I came from a more technical background so had exposure to many of these and found it a bit easy. The second semester was where the "meat" was. The basics were expanded upon and the workload increased a lot. As well as that we only really started into the year project then. I'd definitely recommend that course to a person looking to start out in the software side of things.

The hours per week are really up to yourself. I mean lecture wise it wasn't bad at all but then you had projects and assignments on top of that. Since you've no history with this kinda stuff (I'm assuming?) you might find things very confusing and daunting to begin with and need to put in a bit of overtime to get comfortable with things. But you'll be flying it in no time, most of those in the course had little or no experience in the area.
    What are the job prospects like with this course?

Well I suppose it depends on what area takes your interest. I mean the field it prepares you for is quite large from developer to web stuff to database administration....

There was a small class of us in it. Three got jobs fairly quickly after finishing, two in software development roles and the other in web based stuff (site design/PHP/MySQL/server setup). Myself and another guy have gone onto further study (I'm undertaking a two year research M. Sc.) and I dunno about the handful of others! Before I decided on this path though I sent out a few CV's and had plenty of interview offers so it seems healthy enough out there.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I have no experience whatsoever. I'm coming from an accounting background. The only computer stuff we did in my degree was mainly learning how to use different financial packages.

I emailed admin in Maynooth about a few queries I had.
    They replied saying I could still apply and start immediately!

...I'm going to wait until next year though I reckon.

I'll probably need to put in a good few hours to get myself up to speed at the beginning...so that would mean quitting my full-time job obviously and going back to working weekends and part-time.

Is this course regarded as being a good one? Or would someone who did the 4 year course be hired over me each time?

Also...without getting too personal...would anyone know roughly what a starting salary would be for graduates?

Anything else I should know about this course?

Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

http://graduatestudies.nuim.ie/prospective/higher_dip/HDipIT.shtml

Has anyone done this course, or a similar one?

I am just wondering what it is like basically.

Is it tough going, many hours a week etc?

I am considering doing it next year. The fact that it is only one year long though makes me think it is verrrrry tough going.

Also...what are job and career prospects after this course, and salary scales?

Thanks a million!!

I did it...very intensive. Up to thirty hours a week. Symesterised exams. I found it very boring... Having said that if you actually put in the work you can pass....it involves alot of work if your coming from a different discipline though. Nuim is a great University and Maynooth is a really nice town. Career prospects are good. Think carefully though. Its a conversion course so if you passed your undergrad relying on natural ability rather than hardcore study be prepared for a shock.

• Advertisement

I did it...very intensive. Up to thirty hours a week. Symesterised exams. I found it very boring... Having said that if you actually put in the work you can pass....it involves alot of work if your coming from a different discipline though. Nuim is a great University and Maynooth is a really nice town. Career prospects are good. Think carefully though. Its a conversion course so if you passed your undergrad relying on natural ability rather than hardcore study be prepared for a shock.

Thanks for that.
    Yeah, my undergrad degree is a business one, so a totally different discipline. I know what you mean, my degree didnt involve too much study really as I "got" alot of the stuff...so this IT course might be a shock alright! :(
    Hmmmm.
    If you dont mind me asking, what kind of job did this course qualify you for?

I'm seriously considering doing this course. I love Maynooth too (I have friends who went to college there...and never left, so I spend a good bit of time out there). UCD seem to have a similar course, but I think i'd prefer Maynooth.
    Did most people do okay in your year, or did some people with no computing background really struggle?

Thanks a million :)

Also...without getting too personal...would anyone know roughly what a starting salary would be for graduates?

From what I hear, e25,000 to e30,000 but of course it depends.
    Anything else I should know about this course?

Well looking into careers, do a bit extra outside of the course e.g. learn a language not being taught to you. Show that you have an interest in whatever area of tech you like/want to be good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Is this course regarded as being a good one? Or would someone who did the 4 year course be hired over me each time?

Don't know how helpful this is to you, but regarding the qualification - a hDip is seen academically as being of the same level as a Bachelor's degree; I wouldn't worry about someone who did 4 years, as you will be as qualified as them once you finish.

You might even be able to use this as a sign of your ability in interview etc. - you got an equivelent qualification in one year instead of four! (The downside obviously being the steep learning curve mentioned above)

Maynooth graduate - would also +1 on the recommendations.

Advertisement