Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a solicitor or witness have to sign a lease agreement?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Does a solicitor or witness have to sign a lease agreement or can it just be signed between landlord and tenant for it to be legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you dont need a solicitor for this, or a witness either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

sam34 wrote: »
    you dont need a solicitor for this, or a witness either
    but it is recommended that you get a witness - even just bring a friend. That way you and the LL are both protected should there ever be a dispute.

I rent my house out and I always get a witness to sign, even if the tenant doesn't ask for one. If they arrive alone I either make a quick trip to the local garda station and get it witnessed or ask a neighbour.

Plus the leases approved by the PRTB all have a section for a witness to sign and they recommend you get a witness, as do Threshold.

Better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of a witness to a lease or contract is solely to verify that the person signing the lease/contract is who they say they are and that they were "witnessed" signing the contract.

The witness is not a witness to any other detail within the contract (which is why the witness is never asked to read the contract they are witnessing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Patrickof wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of a witness to a lease or contract is solely to verify that the person signing the lease/contract is who they say they are and that they were "witnessed" signing the contract.

The witness is not a witness to any other detail within the contract (which is why the witness is never asked to read the contract they are witnessing).

Yes Patrick, as far as I am aware this is correct.

A more experienced LL than me recommended that I get the lease witnessed - this was due to experience on his part. Apparently it is nto uncommon for a tenant to say they never signed a lease if there is a dispute. Personally I don't know how often this happens but my firend has let probably hundreds of properties and it happened to him a few times and he knows of other people it happened to. So who am I to argue with his advice? its not like it takes much extra bother and if it protects me and the tenant then its no harm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Plus the leases approved by the PRTB all have a section for a witness to sign and they recommend you get a witness, as do Threshold.
    Sorry to bump. Where are these approved leases? Perhaps I'm blind, but I can't find them on the PRTB website.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement