Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons Jervis - All DAB radios half price

Options
  • 07-09-2008 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Dixons in Jervis are closing down (turning into pc world) and all DAB radios are half price - starting at €20.

They also have 25% of hi-fi equipment, 30% of MP3 players and a few other discounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Does anyone know when they are actually closing. Is it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A bit off topic but it would appear that all dixons in the republic are been turned into either currys or pcworld.The dixons in ballincollig in cork has already been turned into a currys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Zonda999 wrote: »
    A bit off topic but it would appear that all dixons in the republic are been turned into either currys or pcworld.The dixons in ballincollig in cork has already been turned into a currys

Not surprising. They are all part of the same group and they shut the Dixons brand in the UK several years ago. All their highstreet shops were rebranded as currys.digital in the UK and they exist now only as an online retailer there.

As I said though, they are all owned by the same group (DSG International) that is why you find fairly similar prices in the three. They also own Pixmania.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

christo82 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they are actually closing. Is it today?

The one in Jervis closes on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

johnfás wrote: »
    Not surprising. They are all part of the same group and they shut the Dixons brand in the UK several years ago. All their highstreet shops were rebranded as currys.digital in the UK and they exist now only as an online retailer there.

As I said though, they are all owned by the same group (DSG International) that is why you find fairly similar prices in the three. They also own Pixmania.

Didnt actually realise they are gone in the uk too.I had a look here and it says they will be a proper online retailer.Nothing to be excited about though.I would expect similiar prices to pixmania.That said, because pixmania is based in france, the shipping costs for things like big tvs are very expensive.They might be more reasonable on dixons.ie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Are there any wifi internet radios available with this discount?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

No WiFi Radios in Jervis St. shopping center anyway.The Dab radios are great value if you live in an area where you can get good reception,I live in Bray and the reception is crap! I bought a pure Dab radio and if I had known the reception was going to be so bad I would have invested in a WiFi Radio instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

whats a DAB radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Digital Audio Broadcasting - it's meant to have better audio quality and a wider selection of stations. Never tried one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Any discount on TVs? My TV packed it in this morning(old style TV). By the way, anyone have a TV they want to get rid of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Digital Audio Broadcasting - it's meant to have better audio quality and a wider selection of stations. Never tried one myself.

Very big now in the UK - not so much here - RTE has 4 or 5 stations - the regular ones plus some others - RTE Gold (oldies) etc. A few of the local stations are on Digital as well - Country Mix 106.8 and I think Newstalk (dont have a DAB radio myself but am a confessed radio anorak!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are there many left? Might pop in after work and grab one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Can you get BBC stations like Five Live on a DAB radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

woooo232 wrote: »
    Can you get BBC stations like Five Live on a DAB radio?

Not in Ireland - the take up on DAB radios has been very slow due to the lack of available stations which is why they are flogging them off so cheap I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I purchased a dab radio in Argos earlier this year, Couldn't get anything at all on it(I'm in Cork city suburbia). Maybe this has changed now. Luckily with argos I was able to return it no probs. Got a wi-fi internet radio from Maplin couple of months ago and think its great! Mother in Law was delighted to listen to Radio Merseyside! Lithuanian best friend of my son was delighted to listen to lithuanian stations.

I have shocking normal radio reception, so I needed something else. Still mainly listen to radio 1 though:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I bought a DAB radio for the mother-in-law, who's getting on a bit now and struggles with stuff like dealing with the small switches and knobs on a lot of radios. Was really impressed. There were around twelve or fifteen stations that I can think of coming in* with absolute crystal clarity (the mother, for example, gets to listen to crap didley i stuff from radio kerry) and the radio's display gives the station name and some other info which is useful - can't remember if it scrolls song names but remember seeing on a news station it had an RSS type scroll of major headlines. Anyhow, if the are going cheap I'd definitely pick up a second one for myself.

*edit: should have mentioned this was in Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ezdmanx

Was a few DAB radios left yesterday. Evoke pure models 2xt & 1s. Ferguson R121D and few different Logik made ones.

lindtee wrote: »
    I purchased a dab radio in Argos earlier this year, Couldn't get anything at all on it(I'm in Cork city suburbia).

Try again, they now broadcast in Cork

"Digital radio has been on trial since March last year in the Greater Dublin and North East coast area and since March of this year in Cork and Limerick cities."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cheers op.
    Picked up a Hitachi DAB w/rechargable battery & stereo RCA out for €17.48! Gonna hook it up to my speakers when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

looking at the matsui dab radio today, what are the chances of picking up the bbc radio stations on it? i`m in the trim area

• Advertisement

dolittle wrote: »
    looking at the matsui dab radio today, what are the chances of picking up the bbc radio stations on it? i`m in the trim area

Impossible. Not going to happen. Even in parts of Northern Ireland along the border the DAB signal is flakey for BBC stations.

OP - cheers! Picked up two Matsuit DAB radio's for 19.99 each, what a bargain!
    Can pick up all the DAB stations available in Dublin on it without even needing to extend the aeriel.

They had at least 20 of the Matsui radio's left in a pile as you in the door.

what stations are available

brilliant thanks

picked one of the matsui ones today
    grand little job
    picked up all available stations crystal clear
    good call eth0_

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Thanks OP. Got a nifty Sony DAB Clock radio for 59euro less than Argos.

I also saw a nice yokey minus its aerial and powersupply but despite everything the manager wouldn't budge past 50% off. However he did say that come friday the discounts would be mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I tried out a DAB radio in Portlaoise and got around 20 stations including Radio Kerry on it!

Advertisement