Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easier Junior cert subjects?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone here can help.
    My son has special needs and has been told to pick five or six subjects for his junior cert.
    Trouble is we aren't sure which ones to choose.
    He has to do English and Maths.

His option subjects are home ec and business. I just wondered if any of the subjects are easier then others or are they all much the same. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any subject where part of the marks are catered for in advance through project/practical work etc.
    Candidates always have a better chance at them because it doesn't all depend on one day.

Art, Home Ec., Woodwork, Metalwork, Environmental and Social Studies, C.S.P.E. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks for that, we'll have a think about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In general the JC is designed for candidates to pass. Depending on what his particular needs are, he may not necessarily be at any great disadvantage. Candidates who fail at Junior Cert. level have almost always either left out questions, or parts of questions, or answered entirely off the point.

Some special needs children might have limited understanding, but they can be very conscientious about staying in and trying all questions, so it's not unheard of that they do better than others in their class.

Thanks spurious, hopefully he'll do OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Religion is also a very easy course and has a project that counts for 20% of the final grade.

• Advertisement

Thanks Piste, trouble is out of all the subjects religion is the one he really hates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keane-xx

Home Economics is absolutely excellent. There is 50 per cent completed before the exam at higher level. 35 for the practical cookery and 15 for the project. It is even higher at ordinary lever...60 per cent done i think?? Good choice...it is a hard course but the chances of doing well is definitely very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I found History and geography quite easy....

Business can be a bit weird as it is three subjects stuck together, so you need t be good with numberes as well as theory

Thanks everyone, with the help of the teachers we made the choices:

Home Ec, CSPE, English, Maths, Business, History and Geography.
    Hopefully he'll do OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Best of luck to both of you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement