Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long hair and vacuum cleaners

Options
  • 07-09-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I have carpets and long hair. By the looks of things, I must spend my days rubbing my head vigorously on the carpets, as there seems to be more hair there than on my head :(

My current vacuum cleaner (about 5 years old and that was inherited from a friend at that stage) isn't doing much for the situation. On the few occasions when it does pick up the hair it just ties it in a knot around the brushes.

I've been looking at the Dyson animal range, but that really seems to be meant for pet hair. Has anyone tried one with long hair,and did it work? Or can anyone recommend a vacuum cleaner that would do me? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

dyson works excellently with long hair, it's much more efficient at picking it up than your average vac. Thats what I'd have recommended tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks. Do you find that the hair gets tangled around the wheels/head of the vacuum, or does it manage to somehow pick up the hair without that happening?

Thoie wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you find that the hair gets tangled around the wheels/head of the vacuum, or does it manage to somehow pick up the hair without that happening?
    Generally on the one I used if you use the smaller head it's just very, very powerful so it sucks it right up. I was amazed the first run over the living room, the amount of rubbish it gets to.

Bought one with a turbo head yesterday. It does suck some of the hair straight up, but more hair gets twisted around the head. Thankfully the head is pretty easy to clear, so it's not too bad - thanks! Mine came with a turbo head and a flat head - do you think the flat head might be better with hair?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I have a dyson, its about 4 years old and it is brilliant for the long hair. My house mate had really long hair and it just to freak me out when i hoovered her room the amount of hair in the drum afterwards, you couldnt see it on the ground but i am surprised she wasnt bald with the amount of hair she lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a Dyson (DC08). It's the upright type and it came with the animal attachment. I find that the built in rotating brush does after a while get the wife's long hair tangled up in it and I have to cut it away with a knife. Hwever, the 'animal' attachment does not get the hair tangled in it half as much as the built in brush.

I got the DC19 Animal and on the first pass a lot of hair got tangled around the head, but like you I just cut it off with a blade. However my old cleaner hasn't been great for a while, so there was probably a bit of a build up - hopefully with frequent use this won't be so much of a problem.

By the way - the SSP listed on the Dyson site is over €130 more than I paid for mine yesterday. Is that site really out of date or do they just put mad prices on it?

Thoie wrote: »
    Bought one with a turbo head yesterday. It does suck some of the hair straight up, but more hair gets twisted around the head. Thankfully the head is pretty easy to clear, so it's not too bad - thanks! Mine came with a turbo head and a flat head - do you think the flat head might be better with hair?

I use the flat head myself, a little hair escapes but not much at all, they really are a great line of vacuum cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A cheaper alternative is a carpet sweeper. I use it after vacuuming to get hair off a "everything bl**dy sticks to it" carpet, handy to have about when there are kids in the house for quick clean-ups.
    hokies.jpg

Advertisement