Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Guidance please?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on building a website for my band, but I'm trying to incorporate some feature that I'm largely clueless about.

My first problem is some sort of members section password dealie. I've no idea what sort of code or application is needed for this, the extent of my skill is HTML from about 10 years ago, and even that is largely forgotten as I use Dreamweaver for whatever messing about I'm up to.

The second feature I'm looking at is being able to buy a single and then be allowed download a number of B-sides for free.

I'm not expecting a huge amount of traffic for quite a while, so I'd be up for using a slightly awkward or work intensive method, as when the time comes for higher traffic we'll hopefully be able to afford a professional to do this lark.

So any advice will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Well for any sort of members section you're looking at using server-side technology ala PHP/ASP with a database ala MySQL/MSSQL to store logins.

My personal preference for server-side coding would be PHP coupled with a MySQL database as they are both free and easy to set up. Getting yourself in shape for coding securely in these though may be another story though.

buying a single could be approached several ways, the most pain free i think would be to get it put up on iTunes and let them cover how the user buys it, but i don't know how selling music on iTunes fairs with regards to how much money you get in return. there are many other ways that it can be done using eComms solutions but i'm not too well up on these, although i have used paypal (without needing a paypal account) to purchase music before maybe look into this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd suggest trying to use as many pre-existing services/sites as possible. Look at sites like 15 Megs of Fame etc... and see if they'll handle the downloading aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yeah I wouldn't mind using existing stuff... I was planning on using one of those freeforums for the forum, and if there's a website out there that'll give me some sort of password protection dealie then I could use that for the members section I guess.

Is there anyway to deny access to a page unless the user has come from another page? I was thinking of maybe putting the link to member content in the members section of the forum, so if it could only be accessed from there then that'd kinda solve my password issues.

Cool, I'll look up mySQL and 15megs of fame, any other recommendations would be excellent (especially if the php sql lark shoots right over my head)

Advertisement