Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi / Volkswagen W12 Coolant

Options
  • 07-09-2008 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Anyone know where you can get genuine W12 Coolant for a VW Polo?

Its about 10 years old, just bought it about 2 months & was only serviced in March apparently. The service light just came on which was surprising so I checked unded the bonnet & only thing strange found was the coolant level was below Min & looked like a dark coloured crust on the sides of the reservoir. So either some previous owner muppet put the wrong stuff in it or something is backing up into the reservoir which is serious.
    Was going to bring it to a garage down the road who arent a genuine VW service garage but their prices are a helluva lot better.

Is the recomended W12 coolant easy to come by?
    Hope it doesnt need much work as I've no feckin job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'd say there is a good chance a VW main dealer would have some, GSF parts also carry it if your in Dublin.
    Is it not G12 coolant VW's use?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Neilw wrote: »
    I'd say there is a good chance a VW main dealer would have some, GSF parts also carry it if your in Dublin.
    Is it not G12 coolant VW's use?

+1

I reckon it's G12 you're looking for. One bottle should be enough. It won't be too expensive from a main dealer and they'll have it in stock.

Check your coolant reservoir and see what colour the current coolant is - if it's pink/red then you need G12 - if it's blue then you need G11. If you're unsure, drain the system completely and fill with G12. G12 can be used in all VW engines whereas G11 cannot. They should not be mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Thanks guys. Yeah think its meant 2b G12 not W12.
    Afraid to drive it until I get the reservoir cleaned & refilled by the garage.
    Dont want to try it myself in case I get an air bubble in and knacker the whole car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If there's coolant in the reservoir, then just fill with water to the 'min' mark until you get coolant. Once you can see some fluid in the reservoir then don't worry about air bubbles. Top up only when the engine is stone cold to avoid scalding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

crosstownk wrote: »
    If there's coolant in the reservoir, then just fill with water to the 'min' mark until you get coolant.

Uuuh. I dont really want to be messing with water unless its distilled. At least thats what I heard.
    There is a bit in the bottom of the well when I look in the top. May be a waste of money for something I can do myself but gonna get it serviced on Tues to get the reservoir cleaned out & refilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

For a moment there I thought you had a VW Polo with a W12 engine!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Slightly off topic, but from a previous job I have a 5 gallon drum of John Deere premium coolant sitting at home in the shed.

Is there that much difference between grades of coolant? i.e. could this stuff be used in cars? Not intending to but just curious.

Advertisement