Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Braces !

Options
  • 07-09-2008 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Im 16 and on the list for FREE braces (:D) I went to the clinic and after evaluation (So I have to decide by 9th Sep, can put it on hold :P ))she said it was a 5 year treatment plan, and I would need to get 2 First-Premolars out, One at each side. Then after the 5 yrs, I will need to wear a retainer at night. Now I don't have any physical problems with my teeth or function of the whole area, Just a 5mm overbite if I can remember, So its just cosmetic.

My parents want me to get it done but I don't really think its worth it tbh. There saying I will want it when i'm older. So, I was just looking for some feedback .. Also are the HSE orthodontics good (As compared to private)? Up-to-date equipment and all that ?

Also, Is it worth a second opinion about the treatment ? (i.e I really dont wanna get 2 teeth out :D)

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Barry, it's difficult to get HSE treatment, also a lot of their orthodontists are private as well, and you are getting it for free. Forget the second opinion, if you are not going to take this oppertunity there are hundreds who would be glad to do so, grab it with both hands. keep your oral hygiene good and don't miss any appointments ( so they have no excuse to bump you off list ), ring and confirm your appointment to start treatment tomorrow, don't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Oh, I meant an appointment is already set for September 9th , Then I have to tell herif I want them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

A lot of my friends and family have had orthodontics of some shape or form (myself included) and we've all needed teeth out. Pretty common it seems. No point shifting teeth if there's no where for them to go.

Also when you're a bit older your wisdom teeth are very likely to change how your teeth currently sit, and basically, if the HSE think you qualify, then I'd get it done. It's not a huge burden to have shiny teeth to flash in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'd go for it if I were you. been getting my teeth done for 10 years and it has been worth every minute and every penny. Most people I know who've had braces needed teeth out, it's very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Hey Guys,

Im 16 and on the list for FREE braces (:D) I went to the clinic and after evaluation (So I have to decide by 9th Sep, can put it on hold :P ))she said it was a 5 year treatment plan, and I would need to get 2 First-Premolars out, One at each side. Then after the 5 yrs, I will need to wear a retainer at night. Now I don't have any physical problems with my teeth or function of the whole area, Just a 5mm overbite if I can remember, So its just cosmetic.

My parents want me to get it done but I don't really think its worth it tbh. There saying I will want it when i'm older. So, I was just looking for some feedback .. Also are the HSE orthodontics good (As compared to private)? Up-to-date equipment and all that ?

Also, Is it worth a second opinion about the treatment ? (i.e I really dont wanna get 2 teeth out :D)

Thanks.:)

Very old post I know, but what did you decide? My son is desperate for braces, but his overbite is only 3 or 4mm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement