Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get my provisional license...

Options
  • 07-09-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to do my theory test for the B Category (cars) on Monday. I am going to be doing my theory test for A Category (motorbike) a week later.

From what I have read I need to go and get an eye-test done, a medical assessment done and then after that go to the motor tax office with two passport pics, my passport or birth cert and €15 fee.

Once I do that, which I plan to do immediately if I pass the test on Monday, do they give me my provisional license over the counter or must they post it out to me?

The main question I need answering to though is this - must I do the exact same for the motorbike provisional license?

As in, must I get another eye-test done, another medical assessment and then wait to get the license in the post again?

What I am hoping they'll do is simply add an extra stamp to the Category B provisional license to indicate I have passed an A theory test too...that'd save on getting yet another eye test and medical done...

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 playtara

they will send it out to u in da post but only takes few days and not 2 sure but think they will jus add cat a then after but u will need 2 send ur license back to hav it changed!! not 2 sure doh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

playtara wrote: »
    they will send it out to u in da post but only takes few days and not 2 sure but think they will jus add cat a then after but u will need 2 send ur license back to hav it changed!! not 2 sure doh

Try to keep txt spk to a minimum please:)

And OP, i'm not entirely sure, but i would wait until passing both theory exams and then go to the motor tax office, no point applying for one Learner Permit, only to get it amended one week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

You reckon so?

Will they just give me both licenses after passing both tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭SeanW

Pass both Theory tests, then get your eye exam, finally fill out your Learner Permit app. indicating that you're seeking Permits for both Categories A and B.

You'll save yourself a lot of hassle getting it all done at once rather than filing two seperate applications (when you apply for both you get a single LP with multiple categories filled out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

That's great!

Thanks Sean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

where do I send my app form along with my other details, in order to recieve my provisional license?

Im looking for an address.

Or is it better popping into my local motor tax office? is it quicker?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They are no longer issuing "provisional licenses", you will receive a Learner Permit;)
    And, i would say it would be quicker to go into the motor tax office and apply directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

They are no longer issuing "provisional licenses", you will receive a Learner Permit;)
    And, i would say it would be quicker to go into the motor tax office and apply directly.

oh really i didnt know that.
    thanks, will pop in today;)

Advertisement