Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height Requirements for a camper (conversion)

Options
  • 06-09-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Been reading through the threads and some of the stickies here which are very helpful. I have a couple of specific questions based on this:

The height needs to be 1.8m (6 feet) to be classed as a campervan.
    What happens if you have one slightly under this size converted? I've seen some about and don't know what the implications of this are?

Once you've a conversion done, how does one go about getting it registered as a camper? This would be needed for insurance reasons and for reduced Motor Tax too i think. I think it's the motor tax crowd but not 100% sure.

What is a good "donor" van. I have a good conversion text for a Tranporter (T4) and they seem to be solid machines judging from how many old ones are still knocking about. Don't see too many high roofed ones though.

Hiace is another relaible van and the transit (about 00 model) also seems to be good. Seem to be a good few high roofed transits about. As far as i know the mid roof one is just shy of 1.8m however.

To be honest a regular roofed van would be fine for me but want to make sure i buy the right van and don't set off on the wrong path.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Uncle Chenzo

Hey promethius,

Hows it going? I don't have the answers to your questions as such, but just wanted to add a few things to your question, so as to avoid opening up another thread.

I'm totally new to this camper world, but I am about to get stuck in.

What i'm planning to do is to purchase a transit van, a 350 Long Wheel Base, High Roof, GVW - 3500kgs (can be driven on a regular license) in the UK, 01 or later (not as prone to rust as the earlier transit's), get the underneath sealed with waxoil.

Register it here as a van, €50, and then go about a conversion. Either buy a kit conversion, go to breakers (uk, as there doesn't seem to be any in Ireland, maybe one up north).

What i need to know is the process to go about changing the van with the revenue from a van to a camper van. Is this a fairly straight process? What can i expect to pay??

Is this the correct process to take?

If anyone has gone about a project like this - please share, ta.

Does any one know of Camper van breakers?

Uncle Chenzo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Good questions Uncle, looking forward to hearing the answers.
    Should there be a conversions thread sticky? I'm sure a lot of people are considering conversions and don't know where to start like the two of us to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

Hi Guys

If your planning to use a Trany for the conversion have a look on www.fordtransit.org there's few guys on there who have done conversions.

Cheers

Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Uncle Chenzo

I'm planning to purchase around christmas, from a commercial auctioneer in the UK, i've purchased from them before (pastime really).

But reading other sites and forums, planning is v.important. I couldn't imagine converting a Hiace, space wise etc..

You need height, and space. I suppose try to imagine what you will need in your van. Shower/jacks?? How many beds, all the bits and pieces, water pumps, water storage etc... Then get a piece of paper out, draw in all your imaginary bits, play with it for a bit. Then you have your layout, dimensions et al.

Then go and search for the dimensions of a van that will fit your needs.

Just what i think - thats all.

Best of luck.

Advertisement