Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting litter around Sandyford Industrial Estate!

Options
  • 06-09-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move Mods.

Anyway, has anyone noticed the lack of bins around sandyford industrial estate. I am sick and tired of looking at the amount of rubbish piling up especially from the luas line to Beacon South Quarter. I know it is probably everyone who works in sandyford and it's not their fault when there is no bins to get rid of their litter. There is one bin at the end of the road with the Spar on it and it is always overflowing with litter. However, i wish people who come to the area would hold onto their rubbish as a sign of respect to nearby residents and the environment. You wouldn't see this amount of rubbish in other residental areas of south dublin.

So, What to do:confused: Well i've contacted a lot of Councillors in the last 2 months about the issue and apparently nothing can be done.This makes more disgusted. The DLRCC apparently believe that there should be no bins in an area where there are no shops (have they seen the SPAR and cafes along the road where there is rubbish!). They also believe that the workers should bring thir rubbish home and it's their responsability. It's sounds stupid. It doesn't cost much to put up a few bins. I was also told that a litter pick up would be carried out over 1 months ago and i still see the same old metro, herald papers, black bags of rubbish, cans of larger etc.

I am sorry about the rant but none of the Cllrs seems to be doing anything. A litter pick up is the least that could be arranged. Any ideas about what i can do:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Anybody:(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know my sister asked SDCC about getting some bins in her local park and they refused as they didn't have anyone to empty them, maybe the same reason DLRCoCo aren't installing bins as they'd have to empty them if they installed them.

I think that your complaining to DLRCoCo won't do much good as I've been reading that businesses in the industrial estates are treatening to with hold rates if the council don't sort the place out and nothing is being done for them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I know it is probably everyone who works in sandyford and it's not their fault when there is no bins to get rid of their litter.
    It most certainly is their fault. If there's nowhere to dispose of your litter, you hang on to it until there is.

Sure, there should be more bins - but lack of bins is a pathetic excuse for littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There's a Sanyford Ind Est businesses association, you could try getting on to them, but having read their newsletter, it seems DLRCC just couldn't be bothered doing anything with the estate - see their traffic "management" plans for proof.

I work in a company just opposite the Londis/Cafe To Go on Carmenhall Road. We have a green area in front of the building that a lot of people from other companies in the estate sit on on sunny days, and you'd want to see the state of it once they've all left, it's a f*cking disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 mjtaljaard

I agree, Sandyford industrial estate is such a litter pit! It is disgusting. You would think that people working there andpeople paying the high rent would have the decency not to litter... but just shows you...

hi, thanks for the replies. I have given up at this stage. It's getting worse each day and sometimes i wonder why i pay taxes. i have emailed almost everyone. Local cllrs, litter wardens, dlrcoco, south dublin cc, "enviornmental" people and have gotten loads of replies which i followed up on as nothing had been done. I have taken my time to lift some of the most noticable rubbish rather than walk over it but it is not my job and i didn't but it there in the first place. A few bins would do the world of good.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    There's a Sanyford Ind Est businesses association, you could try getting on to them, but having read their newsletter, it seems DLRCC just couldn't be bothered doing anything with the estate - see their traffic "management" plans for proof.

I work in a company just opposite the Londis/Cafe To Go on Carmenhall Road. We have a green area in front of the building that a lot of people from other companies in the estate sit on on sunny days, and you'd want to see the state of it once they've all left, it's a f*cking disgrace.

Have you seen the bin outside Ballymoss house. It's an overturned green bin with rubbish spread across the footpath. Now that is a sight to be had!!:mad: I lifted it up myself the other day but it was overturned again that evening:eek::confused:

I contacted the Ind Est business association so see how that will go. I'm sure they are as annoyed about it as I am.

mjtaljaard wrote: »
    I agree, Sandyford industrial estate is such a litter pit! It is disgusting. You would think that people working there andpeople paying the high rent would have the decency not to litter... but just shows you...

I am one of those people paying high rent :p Too high if you ask me! The Beacon itself is too tidy but once you go outside into the ind est, it's like a totally different place. I don't think it is the nearby residents who litter but visitors and workers in the area who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It most certainly is their fault. If there's nowhere to dispose of your litter, you hang on to it until there is.

Sure, there should be more bins - but lack of bins is a pathetic excuse for littering.
    Damn right. Why do people think that just because there isn't a bin within 1 seconds walking distance that it's their right to dispose of it on the ground. Just put it in your pocket or wherever and dispose if it when you do find a bin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Call the Joe Duffy show? I know from past experience, the sheer mention of his name can put the fear of God into the relevant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

My 2 cents: Along the path from the Stillorgan Luas stop towards Stillorgan you will find at least 2 sets of contractors sign-stands, long since abandoned. You will also find bundles of used masking tape left behind when they painted the lines for the bicycle tracks about two years ago....

...Plus a lot of cans, bottles, newspapers....

:mad:

I have also often seen girls from St. Raphaela's school abandoning the remains of their breakfast & wrappings without a thought or care in the world - they dont throw it awat, they just let it fall through their fingers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

homer911 wrote: »
    I have also often seen girls from St. Raphaela's school abandoning the remains of their breakfast & wrappings without a thought or care in the world - they dont throw it awat, they just let it fall through their fingers..

You can always tell countries which have superb educational systems.

They are spotlessly clean and litter free.

Go to Iceland or Japan or Norway and you will be blown away by the cleanliness.

You can eat your dinner off the dirtiest backstreet in Reykjavik.
    I mean that literally.

Ireland is filthy because our teachers are a no good shower of whingers.

Properly educated people do not filthy THEIR OWN streets.

I was once told by a visitor to Ireland from CLINICALLY, SURGICALLY, SPOTLESS Norway:

"You need Norwegian teachers in your schools."

She was staring at our filthy streets at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Just noticed that DLRCoCo have released their Litter Management Plan for 2009-2011:
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/env/DraftLitterPlanAd.htm

homer911 wrote: »
    Just noticed that DLRCoCo have released their Litter Management Plan for 2009-2011:
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/env/DraftLitterPlanAd.htm

Well, I don't see them doing much in the near future tbh. They don't seem that interested at all. I just might write to the address on the above site though with details of my correspondance with DLRCOCO, quoting their responses etc.

I was told that due to the limited resources available that they do not plan to carry out any litter pick ups in the area and that there will be no bins put in this area in the near future. I'd love to find this guys house, gather up all the rubbish in the area and plant in on his front yard. Or perhaps in front of the DLRCoco building instead.

Advertisement