Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media pc card with FTA

Options
  • 06-09-2008 10:11am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    could not find anything related to this !!
    It may sound like a media forum question but ye may be able to help :)

I have a Sky dish on my chimney with a single Lnb, a media pc and a kids tv.
    I want to swap this lnb for a quad (recommendations - ebay/maplin ?) and run a 2nd cable to the media pc & 3rd to the kids tv.
    The sky cable and box will not be touched - as it supplies the living room.

Q - What type of pc card do I need in the media pc to receive the fta channels - this or this (would like to have the mce remote).
    Update - I now understand I need a dvb-s card - see here

Q - what receiver/decoder is best to buy for the kids tv to get the fta channels.

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Neither of those cards, they both seem to be DVB-T, in otherwords, for DTT transmissions and not satellite.

What about this one:
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novasplus.html

I am sure that others, perhaps Watty, can offer other alternatives.

As for the kids room, any old one will do. Take a look at the sticky at the top of the boards for a list of suppliers. Perhaps take a look at Maplins too.

mj

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thx MJ

had made an edit while you were typing.

You are correct - and found this thread on the Hauppauge page.

Will scan that and see.

K

am thinking this one will do

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novahds2.html

any comments

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Well your at the higher end in terms of price, but the fact it's DVB-S2 will ensure future proofing.

You get CyberLink PowerCinema bundled which I believe is fairly decent software.

So if the price doesn't bother you (~e100) then it's a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i have that nova HD s2 . have absolutely no complaints about it. and they even supply a hd codec via bundled cyberlink software so you can watch BBC HD and Itv HD streams.

• Advertisement

thx lads,

was evening thinking of the HVR4000 coming in at e138.

But am I over-buying. I just want to record the fta dig channels - and prob not go near the analogue again - as it also requires a reboot and rescan.
    It would be nice to future-proof alright - and have the S2 hhhmmm.

The Nova HDS2 is only 70euro.

why is there a difference in these two prices ?

K

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

karltimber wrote: »
    thx lads,

was evening thinking of the HVR4000 coming in at e138.

But am I over-buying. I just want to record the fta dig channels - and prob not go near the analogue again - as it also requires a reboot and rescan.
    It would be nice to future-proof alright - and have the S2 hhhmmm.

The Nova HDS2 is only 70euro.

why is there a difference in these two prices ?

K

The HVR4000 does DVB-S2 but only DVB-T mpeg2. Unfortunately, this won't be of much use when the Irish DTT start broadcasting next year as it will be in mpeg4 format. Probably best to stick with the Nova HD S2 or wait for a newer model of the HVR4000 to be released.

The second of the 2 cards is a dual tuner (2 inputs from satellite dish) as opposed to a single tuner.
    This would be for watching one channel while recording another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

shinobi wrote: »
    The HVR4000 does DVB-S2 but only DVB-T mpeg2. Unfortunately, this won't be of much use when the Irish DTT start broadcasting next year as it will be in mpeg4 format. Probably best to stick with the Nova HD S2 or wait for a newer model of the HVR4000 to be released.

DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-T are completely separate from MPEG2 or MPEG4. MPEG2/4 decoding is done by software codecs, so the card will work perfectly fine with Irish DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Zaphod wrote: »
    DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-T are completely separate from MPEG2 or MPEG4. MPEG2/4 decoding is done by software codecs, so the card will work perfectly fine with Irish DTT.
    Thanks. On the link for the HVR4000 is states DVB-T mpeg2, with no mention of mpeg4 capabilities.
    The Irish setup from what i've read so far is mpeg4 using DVB-T & I assumed it would be hardware decoded.

Looks like I'll go with the Nova S2 so.

Thx for all the input.

K

will update when up and running.

• Advertisement
Advertisement