Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands up if you're serious about leaving this god-foresaken climate?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just wondering how many people are losing patience after the wonderful "summers" of 07 and 08? I certainly am preparing to up-sticks. Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

too right. I'm with you on that. I lived abroad for a few years in Italy, and I do feel that the weather makes an enormous difference to things. Been in Oz for 2 months as well, and again, the weather is a thing you don't think about cos you know that you'll get X amount of good weather for a few months (in other words, you'll get a summer). You can't plan anything in this place, not even a BBQ. Once I sort some personal stuff out, I'm outta here (assuming I can get a job abroad). F**k it, life's too short to put up with this rubbish day in day out.
    I've been thinking about it anyways before the weather comes into the equation.

If you knew you could get a few weeks fine weather in the "summer" here, then it would be grand, you could plan stuff, but it's a joke, and basically I think it's a case of if you can put up with the weather, fair enough, if not, get out!!! WHy would someone bother coming here on hols. get ripped off number one, and then it pis*es rain for 2 weeks...whereas you'd get a cheaper hol abroad, and guaranteed the weather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Im moving to Santa Barbara California in 8 months :D Can't wait!

Elem wrote: »
    Im moving to Santa Barbara California in 8 months :D Can't wait!

:mad::mad:

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Moving in 5 weeks. The weather wasn't the main factor but my husband- from Arkansas, where we are moving to- did find it difficult to get used to, and the poor planning on Dublin city council's part in dealing with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I have one more summer to endure before I'm off to NY next September, but at least I'll have something to look forward to and I'm sure I'll appreciate the weather much more in NY than here! I can't wait for a proper snowy Christmas!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Dia dhuit

Interesting stuff. I'm off to sunny Spain myself. Only a short flight home which is important because despite all the negatives of living here rather than there i still obviously love a lot about Ireland and can keep regular contact with friends and family. Having this move to look forward to really makes hearing of yet another "localised flood warning" much more bareable. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it is absolutely atrocious from what i've heard from home. I've been away for 2 years but I think I have to go home next year due to visa issues. I can't for the love of god put up with no summer for the rest of my life. It has to be the worst climate in Europe, if not the bloody world! Probably only Scotland is as bad/worse. I spent a year in NZ before coming to Oz and in NZ you get a pretty miserable winter and can have dodgy weather in spring but you are GUARANTEED beautiful weeks of sun in the summer, and you can have a summer lifestyle for a significant part of the year. I think the climate must be why there are so many of us kicking around abroad. I can't believe there's anyone left in Eire with the amount of paddies in Oz ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

there's only so much rain a man can take! but where to go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

lets all start a new community in the south of spain. If loads of us go we don't even have to learn spanish!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    lets all start a new community in the south of spain. If loads of us go we don't even have to learn spanish!

Gibraltar!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

BarryCreed wrote: »
    Gibraltar!:)

we could all hold a referendum on the right to be part of Ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    it is absolutely atrocious from what i've heard from home. I've been away for 2 years but I think I have to go home next year due to visa issues. I can't for the love of god put up with no summer for the rest of my life. It has to be the worst climate in Europe, if not the bloody world! Probably only Scotland is as bad/worse. I spent a year in NZ before coming to Oz and in NZ you get a pretty miserable winter and can have dodgy weather in spring but you are GUARANTEED beautiful weeks of sun in the summer, and you can have a summer lifestyle for a significant part of the year. I think the climate must be why there are so many of us kicking around abroad. I can't believe there's anyone left in Eire with the amount of paddies in Oz ffs.

WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Dublin gets less rainfall per annum than London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Dublin gets less rainfall per annum than London.

It also gets much lower temperatures.

Dundee is the sunniest city in UK and Ireland but you won't find many people moving there for the weather.

My biggest problem with the weather here is that it's just so middle of the road.
    Not enough snow in winter and not enough sun in summer.

ibh wrote: »

My biggest problem with the weather here is that it's just so middle of the road.
    Not enough snow in winter and not enough sun in summer.

+1

Advertisement