Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moblie Phone Insurance

Options
  • 05-09-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before.

I'm with Zurich Insurance (Eagle Star) via O2.

My phone is gone a little dodgy as I think the heavy rain affected it today.
    It was locking and unlocking by itself then turned on and off so I took out the battery and left it to dry out. The speaker is barely audible now and its an expensive phone.

Is water damage covered under the policy? There is no specific exclusion about water damage but there is about wear & tear and I'm wondering if I claim would they argue that water damage falls under wear & tear?

I did hear ages ago about people sending their phone in for repair and it being sent back with pictures of moisture on the circuit board but I can't remember if they were returning it under warranty or under the insurance contract (can't remember who it was either).
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sending in for warranty repair + making an insurance claim are separate things.

The bottom line with the insurance is that if it's not covered by the warranty it's covered by the insurance. Also if you're just been downright careless you're not covered either.

You should be fine. Just tell them that it got affected while out in heavy rain or whatever and I reckon you *should* be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

My understanding is that most phone insurance don't cover for water damage. Mobile phone insurance is, generally speaking, incredibly poor value. In almost all circumstances the cost of your premium over the period of cover provided and the cost of the excess fee on the claim will always far outstrip the cost of the replacement phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Slice wrote: »
    My understanding is that most phone insurance don't cover for water damage. Mobile phone insurance is, generally speaking, incredibly poor value. In almost all circumstances the cost of your premium over the period of cover provided and the cost of the excess fee on the claim will always far outstrip the cost of the replacement phone.
    The O2 one definitely covers you if you drop it into a puddle by mistake. I'm not sure if it covers using it in the rain though, this may fall under stupid and be a case of tough - should have taken more care of the phone.

So if it's in your pocket out in the rain and gets wet they'll cover it but you'll have to ask them about it getting wet while being used in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

It was in my pocket when it got wet, I just got soaked to the bone.
    The earpiece speaker is now working again by it's self so its fine now.

Advertisement